TechSpot

Tetris: The best-selling video game in history turns 30 today

By Shawn Knight
Jun 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Today marks the 30th anniversary of the iconic building block puzzle game Tetris, one of the most recognized video games of all time. It's a household name alongside other classics like Pong and Super Mario Bros. in many parts of...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

Wow, all it took was just seeing the gameboy title screen in that picture and now the music is stuck in my head.

Good times...never could last long once I got near to 100 lines though.

SNGX1275 likes this.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Happy birthday to a great game!

4. I would think the Tetris music is one of the most well known tunes in the world.

5. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 143   +59

Used to have family competitions on holiday to see who could get the most lines. Dad getting 164 once just blew us all away!

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

A few weeks ago I watched Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters. I highly recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in Tetris. On the surface a documentary about Tetris players sounds dry, but it isn't. Its the 2nd video game documentary that I've been pleasantly surprised with.

7. Moxiy

Moxiy TS Member Posts: 38

Used to be one of my favorite games back in the days... I remember one day reaching a very high high-score until my game-boy crushed... I never knew game-boys were capable of doing that.

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

You must have been holding it wrong ;)

9. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

Lol. I'm really old. I still like tetris, pacman, and ms pacman on NES and on windows 95/98se/2000/xp/vista/7/8. (though I can't find my tetris for windows to see if it could run under emulation or normally for windows 8.x)

I never owned a Gameboy device so I never even heard of this Game Link Cable. Pictures I search from the net shows cable for Gameboy Advance.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

Nobody watched that documentary I linked :| I know because if anyone did they would have commented how awesome it was. (Its free on Crackle and Hulu)