Texas Instruments, Qualcomm announce ARM processors for Windows 8

By Emil
Jun 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Texas Instruments and Qualcomm have both announced ARM processors that are compatible with Windows 8. The two companies likely got the green light right after Microsoft gave its first preview…

Read the whole story
  2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Screw windows 8.
  3. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 270   +99

and your reasoning is...
  4. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

No need, just screw it.
  5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Heh, its just that windows 7 came out like less then 2 years ago. I bought it like a year ago now there's already a windows 8 being advertised geeze.
  6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 270   +99

True, but that doesn't mean you have to be an early adopter of the new version. I mean look at the amount of users still running windows XP.
  7. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

I honestly don't see the argument against companies releasing a new product often. You are not obligated to buy anything. You can continue using windows 7 for another 10 years if you want no one will stop you. Applications will continue to be supported for quite a while for windows 7 considering that Xp is still supported. I personally thing that it is good to hear that they are continuing to improve windows and preparing it for the next release.
  8. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Qualcomm processors have been **** compared to Ti Samsung and Nvidia since the Hummingbird chip released. They put no effort into designing a good product and they only survive because of their ties with HTC.
  9. @princeton

Qualcomm processor 8660 @1.5GHZ is the fastest available now:

Yes it beats tegra2 and OMAP handily...

so stop smoking pot!
  10. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

The Adreno 220 doesn't even get close to the Exynos chip or tegra 2. It barely competes with the SGX 540 in the Galaxy S from 2010. And the MSM8660 isn't as fast in terms of cpu power as the exynos chip either. You linked to a review that didn't turn off the 16bit color texture compression snapdragon chips use and didn't even benchmark the exynos chip.

There's also no OMAP4 there either. The review is comparing a 1.5GHz 2011 chip to the OMAP3 and hummingbird. Yah that's a totally fair comparison,
    Looks like I'm not the one smoking pot.
  11. @princeton:

Dude.. seriously.. did you even go through the article I linked??

benchmarks show TI OMAP 4430 and Tegra 2: LG Optmius 3D and LG optimus 2x and ATRIX!

I agree with you on eqynox not being in the comparision but all others are there.. so open your eyes

BTW iots funny that almost 65% android phones are on snapdragon.. even blackberry switched to snapdragons.. Sony xperia play uses snapdragon .. so much for Tegras and OMAPs..