Thank you TechSpot! - a nice malware removal story

By tunk
Sep 29, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While surfing the web (yes, just surfing the web, I didn't download anything) my rig was infected by nasty malware.

I had multiple iexplore.exe in my task manager; I could hear "invisable" web pages clicking in the background even tho I hadn't started up IE; Sometimes I heard a radio broadcast in the background; When I clicked links on google I got redirected to other webpages; I couldn't download updates to my antivirus and anti-spyware programs; My computer was just acting funny upon start up.

I tried all my regular-use installed programs : Adaware, Spybot S&D, Avast!, A-Squared Anti-Malware. Nothing turned up.

After googling 10,000 pages trying to figure out how to get rid of the problem I stumbled upon your sticky thread "8-step removal process".

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected 10 malicious .dll files in my win32 folder
    - Super AntiSpyware Pro detected a "trojan.dropper/SVCHost-fake.process"

After cleaning, everything SEEMS to be normal again!

Thank you for saving me a trip to my local PC store and a fresh winXP install!

I say "SEEMS" because is there anything I can do to be sure everything is REALLY back to "normal"?

Thanks again!!!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.