That time when Steve Jobs and Bill Gates shared the stage in a joint interview

Julio Franco

Staff member

The year was 2007. Microsoft was as dominant force as ever in the tech industry. Bill Gates was the company's chief software architect. Windows Vista was on its first year. Internet Explorer was the top web browser and the Xbox 360 was proving naysayers wrong. Apple was back in the game, the iPod was immensely successful. Steve Jobs had unveiled the iPhone earlier that year but it was still months away from actual release. Unfortunately Steve had already been diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer.

The two tech icons took the stage together at the now defunct D Conference to talk about their lives and their companies as rivals and partners, and the future of technology as seen from their unique perspectives.

This was a highly unusual event and one that should be remembered fondly. Jobs was wearing his trademark black turtleneck and jeans. At one point he noted that in their early meetings, the two were often the youngest people in the room and then they were often the oldest. About a year after that appearance, Bill Gates retired from this daily Microsoft duties to devote more time to philanthropy.

Permalink to story.

31:00 It just shows how much Steve Jobs was ahead of his time, because it was last week that I've read that Microsoft is going to develop its own ARM CPU for its laptops! Both guys were seeing what others couldn't see...

Jobs sounded like that guy in corporate. You know the one.

All the best minds would sit in the room coming up with ideas, he would tell them all they were garbage. Then he would walk out the room and implement a bunch of them that became very successful, but everything good that happened in that room was his idea.

It's too bad Jobs didn't take better care of his mental and physical health or he'd still be with us.
Eh? Pancreatic cancer is among the most deadly; even today, the survival rate is 2% or so and it was even lower back in 2003. Your statement is unsupported by fact. The various stories about Jobs' holistic approach to treatment are apocryphal and, even if true, unlikely to have significantly affected his long-term prognosis.

Jobs sounded like that guy in corporate. You know the one.

All the best minds would sit in the room coming up with ideas, he would tell them all they were garbage. Then he would walk out the room and implement a bunch of them that became very successful, but everything good that happened in that room was his idea.

He was just a thief nothing else

I wish Jobs was still around. If he never passed, I think the two of them would have made many other appearances together since, and would have discussed tech and many other things in life.
31:00 It just shows how much Steve Jobs was ahead of his time, because it was last week that I've read that Microsoft is going to develop its own ARM CPU for its laptops! Both guys were seeing what others couldn't see...
no offence, but you have not a clue... the ipad for example, the marketing name is his, but the idea behind it was Microsoft as far back as 1995, with R&D in 1994. Bill told Steve about it, Steve jumped on the idea that was not his, and had it produced as soon as the tech was available to support a tablet idea, and as said, it's marketing name is the ipad.

It's a shame that Jobs got a lot of the credit for the "tech" coming from Apple in the early days, when it was more "Woz" that built the stuff. Don't get me wrong, Jobs was a master at showcasing what they had, but Woz, was the nuts & bolts guy.

Back