The Best 1440p Gaming Monitors: Late 2022

I understand the appeal of greater and greater resolution so perhaps I'm missing something but since the human eye/brain cannot distinguish beyond 30-40 fps, what is the purpose or reasoning behind faster and faster frame counts? This all seems to be similar to deodorant ... in that they are "creating a need" where none exists ...... no?

I understand the appeal of greater and greater resolution so perhaps I'm missing something but since the human eye/brain cannot distinguish beyond 30-40 fps, what is the purpose or reasoning behind faster and faster frame counts? This all seems to be similar to deodorant ... in that they are "creating a need" where none exists ...... no?
I have two 4K monitors in front of me, right now. The primary one has a refresh rate of 144 Hz, whereas as the secondary is 60 Hz. There's a quantifiable difference between them, in terms of smoothness of movement on the screen (e.g. moving windows about, mouse cursor scanning across the screen). However, the primary is also has an IPS panel; the other is a TN -- so one may think that this is the cause of the difference, but setting the IPS one to 60 Hz makes it feel like the other one.

And feel is the key word here, because one's peripheral vision is more sensitive to changes in light intensity than one's foveal vision (this is why stars appear brighter when you don't look directly at them). A large monitor, relatively close in front of you, will take up quite a bit of your field of vision, so having something that's appears to flicker less than another monitor is going to be less distracting and so on.

For gaming, it's a different story. Unless one is using vsync, the frame rate of a game will not necessarily be the same as the refresh rate of the monitor. Games are developed to operate around a primary clock where, in each cycle, the software will poll for inputs, calculate game responses, and then generate the frame for the GPU to render (along with various other outputs).

A game designed to run at 30 fps will appear fine, but changes in the graphics will appear better if it is running at, say, 60 fps. Or more rather, feel better. This is because there is more persistent information between the changes that the engine generates according to its internal clock. If one is running at 30 Hz (one cycle every 33.3 milliseconds), and there is no cap on the render rate, it will generate the same frames again until the next engine cycle.

The monitor is, though, not running at that rate (assuming there is no vsync, again). So there are three aspects to how smooth we perceive what's going on in a game: the engine's internal clock (aka the tick rate), the render rate, and the monitor's refresh rate. Having a 144 Hz over a 60 Hz monitor just means there's one less barrier to reaching the smoothest possible gaming experience.

For me, I just appreciate the higher refresh rate for my ancient eyes...

I dont understand why a LCD screen is advertised as 1ms since it has issues at 60-360hz.
1ms =0.001 seconds and for me should be good for 1000hz if the other electrical components shuld go wit it. but since at 60-144-165-240-360hz the screen has issues, looks like a big marketing bullshlt.
The CRT and Plasma didnt have this issues, and were advertised 5ms because of the phosphor degradation.
LCD tech still has a lot to go to catch up on CRT or Plasma even after 20 years .

Last edited:
Are we being trolled?

Where did you get the exceptionally stupid idea that eyes or brains cannot distinguish more than 40 FPS? You can literally look at a 120+ Hz display yourself and use your own eyes and brain (if any) to see the clear difference between >120hz and <60hz.

How does the Alienware AW3423DW only get a mention here, but not make the list?

As the first 34" Ultra-wide Quantum Dot OLED/175Hz monitor on the market, it absolutely destroys any IPS monitor both in contrast and color gamut. Infinite contrast. And yes, the HDR performance is the real deal.

Yeah, it's expensive, but this article is titled "The best" - not the cheapest.

Full disclosure: I do own one. It's amazing. Not worried one bit about burn-in. Dell built in several features to avoid that, and it has a 3-year warranty that covers burn-in.

But where does one find a glossy (rather than matte) 2560x1440 27" screen?
My ancient Hazro screen is starting to die but I have yet to find a suitable replacement as glossy screens have become even more of a rarity than they were 11 years ago. The only easily available ones are from Apple but cost an arm and a leg (and aren't 27" 2560x1440).

People who play first person shooter games benefit from high frames per second.

As the first 34" Ultra-wide Quantum Dot OLED/175Hz monitor on the market, it absolutely destroys any IPS monitor both in contrast and color gamut. Infinite contrast. And yes, the HDR performance is the real deal.

Full disclosure: I do own one. It's amazing. Not worried one bit about burn-in. Dell built in several features to avoid that, and it has a 3-year warranty that covers burn-in.
I agree, I also own one and cannot say enough about its performance :)

agreed. WTF Techspot? A 34" Q-OLED from Alienware should've been at the top of the list!

TS tends to be ultrawide averse for some reason. No idea why. I'd never go back.

First the human eye can detect more than 40 fps. I think a fairly recent study (2014 maybe) showed that people can detect images shown for 13 ms, which translates to about 75 fps.

In action games, shooters for example, a higher number of fps along with a higher refresh rate can make a difference. Linus Tech did a YouTube video on this with some top-end gamers. It was interesting to see how different refresh rates impacted game play. TLDR; it matters.

Back