The Best Computer Cases 2020

Julio Franco

Staff member

There's no point spending lots of money on PC hardware if you don't have a great case to put it in. But with so many options out there, how do you know what's best for you? There are plenty of factors to examine: looks, size, cost, features, thermals, etc. But we're here to make the process easier and narrow things down to a few excellent options for you to consider.

Read the full article here.

Those massive CPU fans look terrible.

I built a system for my younger cousin with an Asus Hero motherboard, 9900K, EVGA 240 mm AIO and EVGA 850G3 PSU in a Phantek. Dumped his big ugly fan for the AIO.

The CPU fans take up way too much space compared to a liquid cooler, run louder and get dustier.

He’s overclocked his CPU to 5GHz and is much happier now.

Attachments

• 20A91FDA-4F5C-4BAF-908B-D4D33AFC9B6C.jpeg
    20A91FDA-4F5C-4BAF-908B-D4D33AFC9B6C.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If I was getting a computer case right now for the 10900k, I would stick with my current desktop aesthetic and grab a Jonesbo TR03.

Or an EVGA model. I like EVGA products.

Attachments

• C3F6FC5A-A7A1-4E6F-8788-63BFFB95442F.jpg
    C3F6FC5A-A7A1-4E6F-8788-63BFFB95442F.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4367E49E-7BB4-4CA3-81FB-EB53F279CC6A.jpeg
    4367E49E-7BB4-4CA3-81FB-EB53F279CC6A.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I am genuinely curious, am I the only one that finds computer cases almost universally unattractive? Like I'd say the Define 7 is okay without a windowed panel, but I would definitely try to hide the rest behind something. The only cases I find appealing are the Louqe Ghost SK1 (which is very impractical) and the In Win Tou 2.0 (which costs thousands and was a limited run). Overall I think a computer can easily look good, but you need something like pretty RGB or liquid cooling to balance out the negative of the case.

Those massive CPU fans look terrible.

I built a system for my younger cousin with an Asus Hero motherboard, 9900K, EVGA 240 mm AIO and EVGA 850G3 PSU in a Phantek. Dumped his fan for

The fans take up way too much space compared to a liquid cooler, run louder and dustier.

He’s overclocked his CPU to 5GHz and is much happier now.
Why would you build a PC for someone on an expensive, but dead platform?

I am genuinely curious, am I the only one that finds computer cases almost universally unattractive? Like I'd say the Define 7 is okay without a windowed panel, but I would definitely try to hide the rest behind something. The only cases I find appealing are the Louqe Ghost SK1 (which is very impractical) and the In Win Tou 2.0 (which costs thousands and was a limited run). Overall I think a computer can easily look good, but you need something like pretty RGB or liquid cooling to balance out the negative of the case.

I think the less well known mini-ITX case manufacturers make nice unassuming cases. For example, the Jonsbo (http://www.jonsbo.com/en/product.html) cases like the RM2, U3, and UMX4 look great without the window panels (although they are also offered with a window).

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer PC cases with the external drives bays for installing optical drives.
Agree 100% though it's not just optical drives that they're good for, if you have a spare 3.5" / 5.25" drive bay, it's the easiest thing in the world to add a front panel with the latest USB 3.1 Gen 2, more type C ports (because having only one at the back somehow makes makes) or even proper Fast Charge ports (where powered directly from the PSU via SATA = 35w actually means 35w). Instead modern cases are now mostly overpriced pretentious art pieces with expandability worse than what we had with 2012-era stuff "because mah arr-gee-bee".

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer PC cases with the external drives bays for installing optical drives. Some of these chasses look cool; however, I can't get past the windowed side panels. They appear fragile as if staring at them for too long will break them.

I completely agree with you on the lack of optical drive bays, we are old fashioned. I realized after I started installing Windows off of USB drives how never I actually used my optical drive besides installing Windows. Still, I don't like that the option is being taken away from us as systems builders, and honestly I don't like today's case aesthetics.

I do like side panel windows though for showing off the internals.

Engineers made cases for PCs, takes a console company to undo their hideous work and make them pretty.

We've all taken to using lights to beautify them.

I'm a bit irritated to see liquid cooling cases that are impractical for air cooling take such a dominant lead. I'd never touch this generation of liquid cooling, it has come a long way from 2006 when I first considered it but too many horror stories for me.

Went with the Phanteks P400A since it totally crushed in Gamers Nexus' review and looks really sleek.

I am just finishing installation in a Phanteks Eclipse (PH-EC300PTG_BK). For less than $70 it is hard to beat. Right off Phanteks has their own RGB cabling standard so I had to order an adapter. I really like the HD bays with tool-less caddies. I was able to mount 4 - 2.5 inch SSDs using 2 ICY-DOCKs, again no tools required. There was plenty off room for my semi-modular power supply. When I get the RGB adapter I will connect the RGB CPU cooler. Everything fit very nicely.

Fractal Design Define 7 XL is the best case by far. Thick steel, sound proofing, huge interior, ridiculous amounts of modularity, clean and tateful design.

I'm honestly surprised all these clear panel cases are even allowed on the market since they would quickly breach regulations on safe levels of EMF/EMI exposure.You'd need to incorporate an aluminium or silver micromesh to make these things anywhere close to safe.

Why would you build a PC for someone on an expensive, but dead platform?

The 9900K is still the best CPU for gaming on the market (till the 10900K comes out).

Next-gen consoles will feature 8 cores/16 threads at sub 4ghz clock speeds, so the 9900K is going to easily keep up for the next 5 years at a minimum.

I also find most cases these days unattractive - or in my words - filled with bling.

I bought a white Define 7 with the solid side panels when making a new build for my wife since she wanted white and it has gotten universally great reviews. IMO, it is probably the best case I have ever had. When I do a new build for myself, Fractal will be on the top of my list for consideration.

The Define 7 is roomy, requires no screws for the side panels, seems very well thought out, has an external 5.25 drive for those of us who still use optical drives, configurable, and on and on IMO.

I completely agree with you on the lack of optical drive bays, we are old fashioned. I realized after I started installing Windows off of USB drives how never I actually used my optical drive besides installing Windows. Still, I don't like that the option is being taken away from us as systems builders, and honestly I don't like today's case aesthetics.

I do like side panel windows though for showing off the internals.
My current case a Be Quet Pure Base 600 and I put an ASUS BD Writer in it. I was storing my RAW photos on B-R's. Guess what, despite never having a DVD-R or CD-R fail me I had 29 out of 31 Verbatim BD-R's fail me! I am done with optical media! My discs were in a safe too.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer PC cases with the external drives bays for installing optical drives. Some of these chasses look cool; however, I can't get past the windowed side panels. They appear fragile as if staring at them for too long will break them.
Yup, pretty old fashioned. I have not needed an optical drive in over a decade.

Back