The Best Gaming Monitors - Mid 2022 Update

Which tv/monitor technology is better .
is it OLED, QLED, MiniLED, MicroLED, or QD-OLED?
do these monitors have ghosting, screen tearing, or freezing bugs.
thanks

I love my Odyssey Neo G9, it's been my favorite IT purchase since possibly the original Apple Cinema Display. Until owning one I was pretty convinced that ultra-wide and curved were niche gimmicks and that my 2x side-by-side 27" 1440p were all I'd ever need. I still have an office with that old setup, every time I'm in there now I can't believe how quaint and backwards it feels.

That said I agree it is presently pretty expensive for people who don't spend all day and many nights on their computer, so I don't go out of my way to recommend it to most people. I hope the form factor becomes more mainstream in the future.

Which tv/monitor technology is better .
is it OLED, QLED, MiniLED, MicroLED, or QD-OLED?
do these monitors have ghosting, screen tearing, or freezing bugs.
thanks

Of those, QLED is at the bottom since it's the same old LCD/LED tech we've been using for the past 20 years.

MiniLED is next; same LCD/LED tech with more lighting zones. Doesn't solve any of LCD/LED's fundamental issues.

OLED (WRGB; LGs implementation) is next on the tier list. Only major downsides to speak of are lifetime and potential burn in.

QD-OLED (Samsung's OLED implementation) is tentatively next if it does what Samsung claims it will. In theory it better deals with the lifetime/burn in issues with WOLED, but given it's been out for all of two months...we'll see. The major downside is the pixel structure isn't ideal for text output, so it's not great for any form of word processing.

MicroLED is in theory the best; you get the per-pixel lighting of OLED without OLEDs major downsides (lifetime & burn in). But outside of 88" TVs it's still a few years away from being commercially viable in smaller form factors.

I love my Odyssey Neo G9, it's been my favorite IT purchase since possibly the original Apple Cinema Display. Until owning one I was pretty convinced that ultra-wide and curved were niche gimmicks and that my 2x side-by-side 27" 1440p were all I'd ever need. I still have an office with that old setup, every time I'm in there now I can't believe how quaint and backwards it feels.

That said I agree it is presently pretty expensive for people who don't spend all day and many nights on their computer, so I don't go out of my way to recommend it to most people. I hope the form factor becomes more mainstream in the future.
Can it be used as computer monitor , because you know ,computer monitors are on for very long time ?

Of those, QLED is at the bottom since it's the same old LCD/LED tech we've been using for the past 20 years.

MiniLED is next; same LCD/LED tech with more lighting zones. Doesn't solve any of LCD/LED's fundamental issues.

OLED (WRGB; LGs implementation) is next on the tier list. Only major downsides to speak of are lifetime and potential burn in.

QD-OLED (Samsung's OLED implementation) is tentatively next if it does what Samsung claims it will. In theory it better deals with the lifetime/burn in issues with WOLED, but given it's been out for all of two months...we'll see. The major downside is the pixel structure isn't ideal for text output, so it's not great for any form of word processing.

MicroLED is in theory the best; you get the per-pixel lighting of OLED without OLEDs major downsides (lifetime & burn in). But outside of 88" TVs it's still a few years away from being commercially viable in smaller form factors.

You say MicroLED is the best but is it available in 75”, 65” and 42” sizes.is it expensive. Ok, if it is .is it long lasting and can it be kept on for a long time without producing errors. Can be used as gaming monitors .

Can it be used as computer monitor , because you know ,computer monitors are on for very long time ?
Yes, it is intended as a computer monitor. It is not an OLED display, if that's what you mean (OLED is the type people worry about leaving static image on for too long, potentially leading to burn in.)

Lack of HDR support has been a big weakness of monitors up until this year. So the new Alienware 34inch is pretty impressive. However, there will be much more choice, better prices and better technology over the next few years so I’m in no hurry. OLED and miniLED price should drop fast and OLED performance should increase fast as LG & Samsung fight for the crown.

Lack of HDR support has been a big weakness of monitors up until this year. So the new Alienware 34inch is pretty impressive. However, there will be much more choice, better prices and better technology over the next few years so I’m in no hurry. OLED and miniLED price should drop fast and OLED performance should increase fast as LG & Samsung fight for the crown.
Eh, OLED is already about as good as it's going to get; really most of the limitations are on the processing side rather then the underlying technology.

The next big innovation is likely MicroLEDs getting down to smaller form factors.

Back