The best gaming PC...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFJ

Hi Fellow TSers,

is there such a thing as the best gaming PC or who produces such a piece of technology? Or where would one start to find such information?

Regards
PFJ

The best gaming pc would more than likely be built by hand.

I'm thinking maybe a XQ6850 oc'd to 4Ghz on some time of really good cooling, 8 Gigs of ddr3 1800(2gb sticks are'nt available yet though) Maybe 4 raptor drives in raid 0 format. A p35 motherboard, Ati 2900 in crossfire. And a pretty lcd of course.

wow Supersmash that computer would cost like $15,000 :haha:

I agree though, the best computer would have to be built by yourself instead of bought from a company since companies usually **** your system with adding crappy software and making the products they put into your machine suck in the end.

Plus Building is more fun and cheaper :D

TimeParadoX said:
wow Supersmash that computer would cost like $15,000 :haha:

I agree though, the best computer would have to be built by yourself instead of bought from a company since companies usually **** your system with adding crappy software and making the products they put into your machine suck in the end.

Plus Building is more fun and cheaper :D

Lol, The ram would cost more than anything else. I paid 600 dollars for 2 Gigs of this ddr3, i can only imagine what a single 2Gb stick go for.

its better to build a pc as most pre-built pcs come with rubbish psu (power supply Unit) and they put alot of unwanted stuff in

You could build the best pc in the world and it would be outdated in just a couple of months the way things are going.:)

Aint that the truth lol.

I fell victim to that once. I went out and got the most extreme graphics card, it was the voodoo 5500 (shows how long ago that was). it cost me £250 and was the best card on the market. A month later voodoo went bankrupt and the card became almost useless.

rik said:
Aint that the truth lol.

I fell victim to that once. I went out and got the most extreme graphics card, it was the voodoo 5500 (shows how long ago that was). it cost me £250 and was the best card on the market. A month later voodoo went bankrupt and the card became almost useless.

LAWLS, that may even be before I started building computer, but that was a good laugh.

PFJ, i whould recomand you a machine like mine, AND its afortable for just under 3000Euro's
specs:
intel quadcore 2.4Hhz
2gigs DDR2 1333Mhz
striker extrreme motherboard
raptor hdd 60, (systemdisk)
+ 2x500GB sata
Geforce 8800 GTX ultra
zalman watercooling
blueray diskreader/ cd dvd rider
800Wats power suply, (for extra 8800GTX ultra if needed 1 day)

ofcores, i bouht it on my company's name, so i got taxes back, it cosed me 2950, including a 24" samsung monitor, but if you buy it as normal person, it whould cost you 21% more if ur in belguim, like me :s ;)
so... 3569.5 euro ...good luck saving for that ;)

The "best" gaming PC would be an elusive goal as already mentioned. Plus at some point adding faster components will exceed the ability of the gaming software to take advantage of it or the user's eye to discern any improvement.

Agreed mailpup. The 'old' X1950XT gives the newer 8600 and HD2600 series a sound spanking for the same price, and will allow you to play most games at a smooth 60FPS, beyond which the human eye cannot discern any difference in play. For more power, pick up an 8800GTS.

The best pc is the one I dream up in my head, it would be something like 10 15k rpm drives in raid1.0. Octocore processor at 6Ghz. Nvidea 20900 ultras in octo sli. 32Gigs of dd4 120,000(quad channel of course) Sound blaster 10 Zxt Extreme blow your mind edition, with 20.5 surround sound, and a nice big juicy 52inch lcd

supersmashbrada said:
The best pc is the one I dream up in my head, it would be something like 10 15k rpm drives in raid1.0. Octocore processor at 6Ghz. Nvidea 20900 ultras in octo sli. 32Gigs of dd4 120,000(quad channel of course) Sound blaster 10 Zxt Extreme blow your mind edition, with 20.5 surround sound, and a nice big juicy 52inch lcd

LOL, that was awsome.

Sketch Meister said:
I agree with supersmash, but instead of a crossfire just pop 2 8800GTX's running on SLI in there :p

There are currently no p35 boards that support sli, that's why I went with the ATI's

I would agree that the best gaming PCs are built by hand currently, and that's why my friend is building me a custom PC for a relatively cheap $490 Canadian (plus the $70 Radeon 2400 graphics card) which should run new games pretty damn well for the next few years, and get some of the games that I bought in the last few years which haven't been running properly on my craptastic Dell Dimension 3000.

Mainstream PC vendors buy parts very cheaply and sell the crappy finished product at very high prices. It's cheaper to make a new PC that's about 5 times better.

Howard the Duck said:
I would agree that the best gaming PCs are built by hand currently, and that's why my friend is building me a custom PC for a relatively cheap $490 Canadian (plus the $70 Radeon 2400 graphics card) which should run new games pretty damn well for the next few years, and get some of the games that I bought in the last few years which haven't been running properly on my craptastic Dell Dimension 3000.

Mainstream PC vendors buy parts very cheaply and sell the crappy finished product at very high prices. It's cheaper to make a new PC that's about 5 times better.

I'm stealing "craptastic" that's the word of the year. thx.

Tanx everyone for your input so far. Perhaps I should have mentioned that this is for my son who likes flashing lights to dazzle his friends and who depends on my little knowledge of what's inside a PC (and my wallet!) to help him make a decision. It will only be used for gaming. I agreed not to put any bloatware (MSOffice..etc) other than AVG/Firewall and use the old PC for the family. For speeds sake I looked at vendors and this is what we've agreed on at the moment. Feedback on our selection & price would be welcomed:

[1] Area-51™ 7500

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis - Space Black
Chassis Customisation: Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Fusion Red
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Graphics Processor : Dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS - SLI Enabled
Memory: High Performance 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2GB - 2 x 1024MB
Power Supply: 700 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250 GB Serial ATA 3 Gbit/s, 7,200 RPM with 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM : 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer
Sound Hardware: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard
Monitor: 22" Dell UltraSharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
Speakers: Creative® 2.1 Inspire™ T3100 - UK Power Supply
Keyboard: Logitech® Deluxe Keyboard UK - Space Black
Mouse: Microsoft® Basic Optical Mouse Black
Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista Edition
Security Software: McAfee VirusScan Plus 30-Day Free Trial - English
Alienware Extras: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - £50 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - £50 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Alienware® T-Shirt - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Custom Alienware® fUnc Mousepad - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager - FREE!
Window Style: Default Vista Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Power Plan: Balanced
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Time Zones: (GMT + 00.00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

SubTotal: €2,134.00
Discount: €0.00
Vat: €461.68
Shipping: €64.48
Order Total: €2,660.16

I wouldn't buy Alienware unless you couldn't build a PC for yourself. it'd be alot cheaper and you'd be sure to use good-quality parts for your PC unlike Dellienware.

Thanks Rage_3K_Moiz for the headsup. I had to do a search to fully dig where you were coming from.
And I gather from supersmashbrada reaction that this is not the way to go..
It looks like the answer to my question 'the best gaming PC?...is the one you build yourself'.
But with limited knowledge and a son that thinks this is already DHL'ing its way to him I'm under pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back