TechSpot

The best graphics card for my mobo?

By hanakeymi
Aug 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Im currently using ASUS M5A99X EVO. what would be the best gpu for my mobo ? regardless of the price.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,111   +1,523

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

If you really did mean "regardless of price" then yeah the GTX 690 or upcoming HD 7990 are the fastest single slot solutions, but they are absolute overkill for resolutions of 1080p and under.

4. hanakeymi

hanakeymi TS Rookie Topic Starter

My mobo's pcie is only 2.0 . can a 3.0 pcie card will run along with my mobo ? note : my crossfire build will run on x8 for dual gpu/ dual card ( in my understanding ). x16 is for single card / gpu .

5. cliffordcooley

PCIe 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 are forward and backward compatible.
    • If the card and motherboard supports PCIe 3.0, that will be the standard used.
    • If the card and motherboard does not support 3.0, the standard will fall back to the newest standard supported by both.
    If I remember correctly AGP x4/x8 was a multiplier for the cards speed capabilities. With PCIe x16 is the number or lanes (16 parallel independent serial data connections) at which data is transfered. And if I'm not mistaken the PCIe 2.0 and now PCIe 3.0 were frequency jumps, effectively doubling the speed at which PCIe operates.

6. slh28

7. cliffordcooley

Would this equation mostly be used when SLI or Crossfire is implemented therefor dropping a x16 slot down to a x8 slot? If the motherboard was capable of supporting both cards at x16, would you even need to think about x8 bandwidths?

8. hanakeymi

hanakeymi TS Rookie Topic Starter

ASUS M5A99X EVO

Expansion Slots
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    1 x PCI

9. slh28

Impression I got from OP was that he was thinking of running a CF or SLI setup.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.