The Best Laptops - Early 2023

The cost of craptops has increased dramatically and I'm not talking about inflation here. I bought my current craptop before COVID hit. I aim for the very middle of mid-tier performance because I don't use my craptop for anything intensive. These have been my past three craptops:

eMachines E620-5885 - $500CAD
Acer Aspire 5560 - $500CAD
ASUS Vivobook M570DD - $750CAD

They're all standard 15.6" craptops that were situated right in the middle of the mid-tier but as you can see, the price increased by 50% (which is pretty dramatic). There's also the fact that the M570DD was the best price for a Ryzen 5 3500U (which is as mainstream an APU as you can get) and while there were other craptops for $750CAD, this one had a GTX 1050 Mobile and a backlit keyboard while the others didn't.

Back when I was in university about 13 years ago, a post that I made about craptops in the Tom's Hardware forum got chosen for Tom's Guide. The part numbers have changed but the concepts involved have all remained the same.

Last edited:
The cost of craptops has increased dramatically and I'm not talking about inflation here. I bought my current craptop before COVID hit. I aim for the very middle of mid-tier performance because I don't use my craptop for anything intensive. These have been my past three craptops:

Acer Aspire 5150 - $500CAD
Acer Aspire 5560 - $500CAD
ASUS Vivobook M570DD - $750CAD

They're all standard 15.6" craptops that were situated right in the middle of the mid-tier but as you can see, the price increased by 50% (which is pretty dramatic). There's also the fact that the M570DD was the best price for a Ryzen 5 3500U (which is as mainstream an APU as you can get) and while there were other craptops for $750CAD, this one had a GTX 1050 Mobile and a backlit keyboard while the others didn't.

Back when I was in university about 13 years ago, a post that I made about craptops in the Tom's Hardware forum got chosen for Tom's Guide. The part numbers have changed but the concepts involved have all remained the same.
Well written, and I liked your post at Toms from 14 years ago.
After careful consideration, I have concluded what you helped make so obvious.

You say Craptop way too much and for way too long! ;)

I wish they'd focus on better chromebooks, so many models with 4GB of RAM and pentiums.
My acer C771 is reaching EOL, and with 8GB RAM, 64GB storage, and an i5, there is really nothing to replace it with. Even the "gaming" models are hamstrung by weak hardware.

I also wish manufacturers would just put linux or windows on the chromebooks. They are frequently better built and more sensible then the actual windows machines are.

I got a LG UltraPC 16 16u70q for $779, I think is a good balance for a budget and weight. Since my eyesight is not as good as when I was young I prefer big screen in my laptop. I dropped 13inches 10years ago

Well written, and I liked your post at Toms from 14 years ago.
Thank you very much! It's one of the few things that I can be proud of. The funny thing is that I was talking about how great the A8-3500M APU was and that was exactly what I chose for the craptop that replaced the one I was using at the time. :laughing:
After careful consideration, I have concluded what you helped make so obvious.

You say Craptop way too much and for way too long! ;)
As long as they're technological dead-ends, I will ALWAYS call them craptops! ;)(y) (Y)

Last edited:
If they don't sport AMD Rembrandt hard pass. Even a hard pass for Rembrandt, Phoenix 2 is what I'm waiting for.

I once owned a Asus tablet and it was very nice. Once I was bugged to upgrade operating system and I did but it would not re boot and not work.
I contacted Asus help desk and they were not very helpful, did not understand problem and I was never able to get it to work.
I never bought Asus again. But I see that it has a good rating here. Maybe things in the help desk changed?

"almost all-day battery life from the 51Wh unit"
What does that actually mean? all day as in 24 hours? or just the 12 daylight hours? or an official working day of 8 hours? 7 if you exclude lunch? And is that leaving the laptop idle? browsing? watching your film library? playing AAA games?

Back