The Best Monitors 2018

Julio Franco

Staff member

It doesn't matter how much expensive hardware you pack into your PC, it all goes to waste without a great monitor to match. As 4K monitors become a popular choice among pros and productivity fans, it's the resolution of choice for our Best Overall pick. But with more high-end features appearing in affordable models, we've broken things down so choosing the best display for your needs is narrowed down to just a few great choices.

Read the full article here.

Wont even look at anything that has less than 100Hz. The best overall monitor review is pointless as it has no information on Hz, I assume it's 60Hz but it could be 30Hz, how could I know.

More info, otherwise good article. Hz is just most important stat in monitors for me and not having it in comparison/review makes me think you got paid to not mention it, even if it wasn't the case. I know it's not as important in content creation but most people use their displays for multiple purposes.

It's a good article and demonstrates that, like camera's, you really have to work at it to buy a bad monitor. They are out there, but the grey matter must be completely dormant to pick one ..... LOL

Wont even look at anything that has less than 100Hz. The best overall monitor review is pointless as it has no information on Hz, I assume it's 60Hz but it could be 30Hz, how could I know.

More info, otherwise good article. Hz is just most important stat in monitors for me and not having it in comparison/review makes me think you got paid to not mention it, even if it wasn't the case. I know it's not as important in content creation but most people use their displays for multiple purposes.
I definitely agree with you. One of the first things I look at when buying a monitor is the refresh rate.
For me personally, information on Vesa compatability is also important since it determines whether or I make the purchase. This is also a major creteria for many people (more so than refresh rate for some).

4K monitors with higher refresh rates and VRR tech like G-Sync are finally coming this quarter (at somewhat prohibitive prices) and mostly aimed at gamers, but after a year and a half, they're almost here:
https://www.techspot.com/news/74713-acer-4k-hdr-g-sync-144hz-monitor-available.html
https://www.techspot.com/news/74653-nvidia-shares-144hz-4k-uhd-monitors-g-sync.html

The Viewsonic pick, like most other 4K monitors that you can currently buy are 60Hz, so surely we can't recommend what you can't buy. That said, this is a high quality monitor that was fully reviewed by our staff (review is linked in the entry also). As with other picks, you can learn more specifics by clicking through as well, we just try to make it as information packed and condensed at the same time with our Best Ofs.

Ideal size for a 4k is 46", the equivalent of a 2x2 array of 23" FHD screens but without the bezels. My 50" is also nice but perhaps a hair too big. I plan on making my desk bigger tho...

Thank you for the article, however I won't be getting a 4k monitor until the video card prices are down to where they should be.

I also find it comical that for decades everyone said that the human eye couldn't visibly notice above 60Hz. LOL. Now it's like the first priority on a new monitor.

I've always seen a difference and back in the day always ran 75Hz. 60Hz kills my eyes for any kind of moving such as FPS games (LCDs aren't as bad as CRTs it seems).

More then $200 for a monitor is a waste unless someone else is footing the bill or you have to understand the display from 30 ft

Who says 4k is the best resolution? Certainly not for gaming! Would need a top of the line video card to be able to push enough pixels @ 4k especially above 100fps to take advantage of those high refresh rates! And if 1440p in Windows is anything to go by, I imagine the DPI settings in Windows for 4k would make viewing text a pain in the butt!

Last edited:
Are you really sure a 32 inch monitor, with 4K worth of pixels to drive, and DPI scaling issues to manage, is a "best overall" pick without a lot of discussion about the tradeoffs first?

If a friend asked me to help him evaluate such a monitor, I'd want to be pretty careful about first understanding whether he had the desk space for it, the video card(s) to drive it, and used applications that did not look like complete garbage when scaled. Which last time I checked (over a year ago to be fair) did not even include some basic Windows 10 functionality. That's not even counting the refresh rate issue.

When the heck was there ever a 30hz monitor??? lol

Dell is a realiable choice! :) Still one of the best for gaming and graphic design. I see Dell Alienware AW3418DW a sexy one! I wish I got one!

It should be noted that the Dell Alienware AW3418DW can be had for $999 on sale. I got mine for that on Cyber Monday 2017 plus Dell gave me free financing for a year and a $60 credit to redeem on anything on their site. So actually it was $940. I received it within 48 hrs of placing my order, so that was cool too.

With their vastly superior replacement service and 120Hz refresh rate, it was a no-brainer over the similarly priced (at $1K) Asus and Acer models. Plus its styling is a bit more tasteful in my book.

Best enthusiast monitor has freesync? Baffling. Enthusiasts aren’t buying Vegas or RX580’s. They buy Nvidia! An enthusiast monitor in 2018 has Gsync.

Back