The Best Mouse for Work and Play

There is no such thing as a perfect mouse for work and gaming. For gaming I like MM720 and Attack Shark X3. For work: Logitech G305. You can't work witha claw grip.

I personally use the HyperX Pulsefire Haste and love it for work and play. Super lightweight, comfortable for larger hands, and durable. Also, I prefer wired peripherals that I don’t need to recharge.

Razer products and especially its mice are overpriced and over hyped. I've rode on the hype bandwagon before those days and bought 3 different ones, (don't care to remember them), and all spoilt within 3 months of use. Maybe I got the bad ones, but one after another?

Went back to purchasing my trusty Logitechs (been using older models from good old DOS days) and never looked back.
Currently using the Silent models from Logitech. And also the M570s.

There is no such thing as a perfect mouse for work and gaming. For gaming I like MM720 and Attack Shark X3. For work: Logitech G305. You can't work witha claw grip.

Yes you can. Depends on what you do. I write and code mostly. No need to change mouse, which is great. Logitech Superlight all the way for me, 80 hours on a charge easily while having a top tier sensor.

Last edited:
One thing I learned from the years is that your battery life is more important than accuracy for a wireless gaming mouse.

Most of these super accurate mouse have a battery life of below 6-8 hours and offer really little over a more generic tracking technology with a battery life over 175 hours.

I am using a G604. I loved it so much that I bought another one when it was on sale for 50$. The scrolling wheel is really good and the button are button layout is offering something other mouse doesn't. It is great for making shortcuts in RPG or FPS. Not to mention great battery life lasting you over 2-3 months.

It is not the perfect mouse, but it is one of the best I owned.

Having a G400S based on old design of MX500, was an still is an amazing mice for work and gaming, for my type of grip.
But currently I ressurected a G600 MMO with cronic switch problem ( replaced all switchs )... not the best mice for FPS games, because of the mid-level sensor, but far superior on everything else. Its aimed for big hands, and it has the 3th mouse click.

I have been using a Logitech gaming mouse for a long time,
but the problem I face is always the same, the left mouse button often wears out quickly..
now I use a normal budget mouse for both work and gaming..

Had the G502x for a few years. I love the side buttons 4 and 5 but I wished it had mode programmable side buttons though.

I personally use the HyperX Pulsefire Haste and love it for work and play. Super lightweight, comfortable for larger hands, and durable. Also, I prefer wired peripherals that I don’t need to recharge.
I bought it just because I wanted to see what it was about these new (back then) super light mice.
And now it became my most favorite mouse even though I have like 5 other top selling mice from different brands. Great mouse, especially for the price.

Having a G400S based on old design of MX500, was an still is an amazing mice for work and gaming, for my type of grip.
But currently I ressurected a G600 MMO with cronic switch problem ( replaced all switchs )... not the best mice for FPS games, because of the mid-level sensor, but far superior on everything else. Its aimed for big hands, and it has the 3th mouse click.
I will second the G600, with one big caveat (more on that in second). The mouse fits big hands well, and I use it for gaming and CAD, where all those thumb buttons are supremely useful. The Naga is also fine, but vastly overpriced. I bought 3 G600 units when I happened to catch a great sale, for the price of a single Naga - so now I have backups when the switches start to go wonky.

The caveat, though, can be a big one: The current Logitech software suuuuuuuuuucks! Logitech Gaming Software worked well, but stopped being developed in 2022 and they are concentrating on G Hub for the gaming connections. G Hub is terrible, difficult to configure, does not always switch to the game you are playing, generally buggy all around. It's bad enough that once my final G600 gives out, I'll be moving away from Logitech in general - they seem to be floundering in some of the driver department, which is a bad sign for a peripheral company...

I will second the G600, with one big caveat (more on that in second). The mouse fits big hands well, and I use it for gaming and CAD, where all those thumb buttons are supremely useful. The Naga is also fine, but vastly overpriced. I bought 3 G600 units when I happened to catch a great sale, for the price of a single Naga - so now I have backups when the switches start to go wonky.

The caveat, though, can be a big one: The current Logitech software suuuuuuuuuucks! Logitech Gaming Software worked well, but stopped being developed in 2022 and they are concentrating on G Hub for the gaming connections. G Hub is terrible, difficult to configure, does not always switch to the game you are playing, generally buggy all around. It's bad enough that once my final G600 gives out, I'll be moving away from Logitech in general - they seem to be floundering in some of the driver department, which is a bad sign for a peripheral company...
Yeah the LGS software was way better, and much more easy to use. G Hub is showoff app its sad how bad it is, but G hub works better in Win11 than LGS. Win10- use LGS, Win11-use Ghub.

You can still use LGS, its not updated, but still works. Don't even try going to Steelseries software ecosystem... it way worse than G hub.

About the G600, if you run into clicking problem just replace them from a budget mice or an old one. I removed Kailh switches from an old budget Logitech, and replaced the Omron ones in the G600.. clicking like no other. Logitech will not make more of them.

The mouse question is one of the ones I've seen most fiercely debated over the last few years. IYKYK but the ppl I think I've butted heads with most, usually upon revealing my choice (and being asked 'why did I do such an awful thing' or the like) are the Logitech crowd. More specifically, the various model of G502 fans.

Not gonna lie, they do look good, and have all I'd need for a daily driver/general gamer but was I ever warded away by the ratio of reviews. They had possibly more reviews than any other single mouse but if anything an higher proportion suggesting problems I'd rather avoid (mostly premature left click issues) than for any other. I dunno, maybe the new line are better now but I haven't been looking for a new mouse for a couple of years and I'm hoping what I have last as long as possible. Oddly enough, when it comes to kb's the one that's impressed me most in recent years after trying others is a Logi... the G915 TKL.

So what have I got? Well, first I'll tell what led here... In 2016 I got back into PC gaming after a few years short and came back with an aim to have some savvy and pick good stuff. A G602 suited me then and lasted the course for 5 years, not much flash but plenty of buttons for my preferred RTS/TBS play (while most shooters also get the controller treatment cos I'm nowhere near adept enough at kb controls)

A full PC upgrade came in 2021 and with it new peripherals. I eventually ended up with, at a good discount, Razer's Viper Ultimate for daily driving and Naga Pro respectively... And they've been great, fit the job and no issues for getting on for 2 years now. I'm just gonna stick with these two until they give up the ghost and then see what's what... but more Razer is likely as I tend to stick with what does me proud.

Yeah the LGS software was way better, and much more easy to use. G Hub is showoff app its sad how bad it is, but G hub works better in Win11 than LGS. Win10- use LGS, Win11-use Ghub.

You can still use LGS, its not updated, but still works. Don't even try going to Steelseries software ecosystem... it way worse than G hub.

About the G600, if you run into clicking problem just replace them from a budget mice or an old one. I removed Kailh switches from an old budget Logitech, and replaced the Omron ones in the G600.. clicking like no other. Logitech will not make more of them.
G Hub is just fine, besides, you don't even have to use it at all after transfering the profile to onboard memory. Any good mouse should have onboard memory in 2024.

I really don’t like the rechargeable proprietary batteries especially in devices difficult to service (not the case in a mouse mostly) I really like the use of regular AA or AAA which I can manage very easily.

Last edited:

Yeah, discussions re: mice don't cover the software enough. Logitech and Razer (and maybe everyone else?) are horrible.

After several Logitech mice, I left Logitech partially due to the left mouse buttons wearing out prematurely (the other issue that needs more attention), even on high end models that claimed to have great button life. I tried a few, but settled on the Razer Basilisk v3 Pro. I love the hardware (wish it had a few more side buttons for gaming hotkeys), but the software is evil. Several processes running, user complaints ignored by the company, etc.

So I looked around and settled on X-Mouse Button Control. It does not replace all the software features, but handles hotkeys pretty well. Are there any other software solutions people have found?

Also, you mention the replaceable switches. I love it! I can't remember if my switches are replaceable, but we users need to demand better software (hopefully standards compliant so 3rd party software works) and better, replaceable switches.

And Techspot, I challenge you to bring these issues up in your highly visible "Best Mouse" articles!

One thing I learned from the years is that your battery life is more important than accuracy for a wireless gaming mouse.

Most of these super accurate mouse have a battery life of below 6-8 hours and offer really little over a more generic tracking technology with a battery life over 175 hours.

I am using a G604. I loved it so much that I bought another one when it was on sale for 50$. The scrolling wheel is really good and the button are button layout is offering something other mouse doesn't. It is great for making shortcuts in RPG or FPS. Not to mention great battery life lasting you over 2-3 months.

It is not the perfect mouse, but it is one of the best I owned.
I agree. I am using a Logi MX Master 3. Battery life is good, though as it ages, I can tell the battery won't hold a charge quite as long. It would be nice if I had a charging/mouse pad, and the mouse could wirelessly charge while being used (or sitting idle at night).

Currently have 3 wireless Logitech mice. Each a different model and each use AA batteries. G305 etc. I love them but two of the mice had the left buttons start double clicking and I have bought some better, aftermarket switches to do the swap sometime, if I ever get round to doing it. We will see...

I had my G602 and a spare until they each fell to the click of death - then I migrated to the G604 and then before I got its replacement - they discontinued it!!?! At least Logitech is still updating the Onboard Memory Manager so I don't have to install the G-Hub software and keep that running.

All I want is a multi-button programmable mouse - but not 100 buttons on one side - just 6-8 with proper spacing for my clumsy big thumb. *sigh

My ideal mouse would be the old Microsoft Explorer trackball (for the fingers not the thumb) and those aforementioned programmable buttons. I'd even settle for a wired version if that unicorn were to exist - though certainly not for $500.

Last edited:
Decent list.

I'm currently rockin the DeathAdder V2 with 3399 Focus+ sensor. Optical switches. 80g. ~2ms click latency. Synapse uninstalled and RGB controlled by Windows Dynamic Lighting. 😘
I'll consider wireless in a year or two. Right now I can't feel the cable moving at all.

I use a G502, as I need the buttons.

Long story short: I missed the entire Quake phase of PC gaming, and never graduated to WASD. To this day I still use the arrow keys for movement. Thing is, there's only so many buttons around that area. Having extra mappable buttons on the mouse (generally for FPS titles: Space for Jump, E for Action, R for Reload, and Ctrl for Crouch), plus two more on the middle wheel (generally for Lethal/Non-Lethal or other utility actions) is a godsend.

Currently have 3 wireless Logitech mice. Each a different model and each use AA batteries. G305 etc. I love them but two of the mice had the left buttons start double clicking and I have bought some better, aftermarket switches to do the swap sometime, if I ever get round to doing it. We will see...

Same, had G305, double clicking after 1 year, replaced under warranty, then double clicking again soon after warranty ended.

Apparently even the most expensive models are not save from this famous double clicking plague.

I can't recommend any Logitech G mouse anymore. Oddly, their non $5-$15 non gaming mouses last much longer.

I got a G502X Lightspeed Millenium Falcon edition for christmas from my girlfriend. I absolutely love it. And I love the millenium falcon lighting effects. But I dont think I would ever spend this much money on a mouse myself.

Back