The Best Smartphones: Top Overall, Budget and Flagship Quality for Less

Jos

Staff

Throughout the past few years we’ve reviewed dozens of smartphones and got hands on time with plenty others. The good news is that, despite the sheer number of options out there, smartphones from all the usual suspects have become so good in terms of hardware and design that it’s getting harder to pick something you’d regret. Or if you’re the glass half empty kinda person, they’ve become so good that picking the one that’s right for you can be a challenging task.

That’s why we’ve compiled our first hand findings with dozens of reviews from reputable sources, to highlight the stuff that matters, and make it easier for you to buy the right device.

Read on and check out the best smartphones.

This list leaves something to be desired... or is it the new models of phones just dont seem worth it to upgrade? (Coming from a Galaxy Note 4 user)

Best for iPhone users should have been the Galaxy S6 ;)
TBH I am just surprised any outlet would put an Android handset over the newest iPhone especially when the 6S and 6S plus are newer than the now 6 month old Samsung.

The LG seems to have the closest to what I'm looking for. SD Micro slot and removable battery are high on my list of must haves in a new device.

@Yannseulement this coming from a very satisfied Xperia Z3 user, I'm still not convinced the Z5 is all that. First and foremost, it's too early to tell since the phone has just become available, and we didn't pick the best phones based on a spec sheet. Second, competition is better than it was a year ago when the Z3 came out. When we test the Z5 ourselves and user testimony is also there, we'll evaluate it for a solid recommendation.

As for the iPhone, we didn't create a category just to include it. Rather it deserved to be listed as one of the best phones you can buy (it is a great phone). However, if you are not tied to the Apple ecosystem (millions are), our top recommendation goes to the Galaxy S6.

I would buy the Moto X Style, it seems the best on the list, since I recently bought a Moto X second gen, I'll wait what Motorola releases next year.

Great article, congrats. You could include the Nexus 6P / 5X and the Sony Xperia Z5 compact, have you try those yet?

Are you serious ? The galaxy s6 have a decent battery? Are you kidding?
The best smartphone on October 2015 is the Sony Xperia Z5!!!!!

Stereo speakers
SD slot
Two day battery
Ip 65
The best camera of smartphones
Yes, I agree that the s6 has terrible battery life.

But the z5 has two day battery life? Are you serious right now? You actually just quoted the manufacturer on battery life? The z5 has a 2900mah battery. That will hardly last a day.

"The best camera" Likely, but as yet unproven.

Going on the user scores, the best overall phone from that list is the LG G4 :)
Which I have and am very happy with but I don't push it to its limits.
I typically get 5-6 days out of the battery with low usage and I like the user interface and the great screen.
But I'm sure a newer phone will eclipse it soon enough - that's how tech goes.

Where is the rating system, I wanted to see which people here liked the most. I vote Moto X.

Where's the OPPO R7, 3rd largest producer in the field and less than half-the price of equivalent featured phones? And I too wouldn't have a phone which did not provide micro-SD expandability.

Shame this article had to be written while leaving out the Nexus 6P. I know, it's coming out like right now so maybe it wasn't available for review, but from the looks of things it's shaping up the be the best phone of 2015.

Best of Smartphones Updated with all the latest phone releases, price updates and more. The Google Nexus 6P is in, the Xperia Z5 didn't make it. A few more considerations and alternatives named within the updated article, but we were pretty solid on the first round. So here you go.

This list leaves something to be desired... or is it the new models of phones just dont seem worth it to upgrade? (Coming from a Galaxy Note 4 user)
As a fellow note 4 user, there is just no reason to upgrade. There is nothing these new phones can do that last year's can't. And since the batteries are non removable, they won't be around in two years or so, while our notes can keep running as long as we can find more batteries. If only they had stock android on them....

3 biggest things I look for in a smartphone, are: Battery life, camera quality, and STABILITY.
Almost 2 years ago I bought a cheap 6.1" screen chinese phone, with a 4,050mAH battery.
It came with JB4.3, and wasn't updated to KK, but skipped over to LL5.1.1 just this past summer.
It has been 100% stable (after 1 update), battery lasts 2-3 days, and the photo quality is excellent.
All for less than 300 (U.S.). I'll take that over flashy design any day of the week (along with spending
600,700 or more).
I never turn my phone off, and, it's been on the same boot cycle for almost 78 days, has never lagged,
frozen or slowed down.
You don't have to spend a fortune, (unless you are into high end games) to have a good phone.

Back