TechSpot

The Best Strategy Games on PC

By Julio Franco
Apr 28, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. The PC is home to just about every type of video game under the sun, but few are as quintessentially PC as strategy games. Because it’s such a popular (and important) type of game for the platform, and because I’ve spent way too much time playing them over the past few years, I thought I’d help folks out by putting together a list of what I consider to be the very best strategy games for the very best system to play them on.

So what counts as a strategy game? That’s a good question. One that, thanks to video gaming’s ceaseless drive to remove all meaning from its genre names, we may never be able to settle on. The lines blur so much between “strategy” and “RTS” and “grand strategy” and “management” and “simulation” that I’ve tried to restrict this list to games that, well, most people would simply agree (through a gut feeling) were OK with being called “strategy games”.

Here, then, are the best games to play if you feel like taking charge of something, ruining an economy and/or driving an army across the fields of your enemies.

Read the complete article.

Starges likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,214   +1,240

No 1: StarCraft II ... only gets an honorable mention, whaaaat!

In my opinion Company of Heroes is good but SC2 is worlds better, anyway just my 2c.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Total Annihilation not being on the list, let alone an honorable mention is a travesty. If you want a modern successor then Supreme Commander (and/or Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance). So sad.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +683

It's a good list, I still think Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance deserved a bit of a mention though, that game I've sunk hundreds of hours into!

Agree with Company of Heroes though, It is an absolute classic.

cartera likes this.
  5. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +577

I'd take divinity original sin any day over Xcom 2. At least with one I know that when it says 100% chance to hit it means it. It's utterly embarrassing that xcom has had such a broken hit chance generator for so long. You know that moment when you have 3 shotgunners point blank and they face away from the enemy and shoot, something is wrong. It was only funny the first time in the first game. It just pisses people off at this point. Crap optimization don't help either.

Reehahs likes this.
  6. melkiik

melkiik TS Enthusiast Posts: 42   +10

All time Best;

Homm-III

Leaving the 1997 classic , That we still enjoy on regular basis, out is a discgrace ; )

emmzo likes this.
  7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

Where's my Dune 2000? :D

Steve and Reehahs like this.
  8. Reehahs

Reehahs TS Addict Posts: 169   +70

I miss Dune 2000, never managed to get hold of its sequel. Red Alert 2 was one of them best out of CnC series. Supreme Commander may be grand and all in terms of size and units but the pace is so slow that they resorted to 24 hour time lapse to showcase the game in the trailers.

The best RTS downright for me has been Populous: the Beginning; there is nothing like fire-balling dozens of advancing tribesmen off a land-bridge and turning the tides of battle.

Puiu and Steve like this.
  9. Duckeenie

Duckeenie TS Booster Posts: 80   +59

The list seems a bit new game heavy to me, while newer games should always be better they often aren't. Look at Starcraft for example, this game has 3 times the content that the second game has, yet Starcraft is nowhere to be seen here. It's wonky man, just wonky.

I'd also have following in the main list:
    Rise of Nations
    HOMMIII
    Warcraft 3
    Red Alert 2
    Starcraft

melkiik and Steve like this.
  10. Unearthed

Unearthed TS Rookie Posts: 23   +7

Dawn of War 2, C&C Generals and C&C Tiberium Wars 3, Anno 2070 and Grey Goo

Steve likes this.
  11. ziffel66

ziffel66 TS Rookie

No Rise of Nations or HOMM 3 = fail.

melkiik likes this.
  12. Nero7

Nero7 TS Booster Posts: 166   +48

Very poor list. He just picked his personal favorites out of the very few that he knows. The term couldn't be any broader either. "Strategy Game". Pit a 4X game against a real time one... what else to expect from Kotaku.

ziffel66 likes this.
  13. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Homeworld, my favorite.

14. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 315   +93

I knew it would be a subjective list, but I'm surprised to not see a single listing for any Westwoods game. I'm actually curious and may do a survey over which one people liked the most. Tiberian Sun was my favorite, but before EA completely dissolved Westwoods, they were all great including the Dune series.

Steve likes this.
  15. antiproduct

antiproduct TS Rookie Posts: 17

No Master of Orion 2? Or how about Dune 2? Alright, I'm old... but fancy graphics doesn't always make for a good game. Those classics were great.

16. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

The original Starcraft will always hold a special place in my heart, I still can't think of any single game I played more than SC. The sequel was good but it just never felt the same, it became far too competitive too fast and because of that I can't get into it, it may have a huge community but it will never be the same as those days of dial up Battle.net with clans and bots and all the crazy custom use map settings games that seemed to never end, sadly it did.

The only current game on the list I can say I have truly enjoyed playing is Civ 5, but that in itself is a whole lot different from the Starcraft formula, mainly because it's turned based and not real time. I am glad AoE made the list at least, another great RTS game I played a whole lot of in high school. Company of Heros is also a good title on the list, but one I never found myself wanting to go back to, I have the box for it somewhere with the discs, but am not about to go looking for it.

Lastly, what the Gif for Crusader Kings II? Do I even want to know what that has to do with the game?

Steve likes this.
  17. Kralnor

Kralnor TS Rookie Posts: 36

"A titan in the field, it stands as not just the best Civilizationgame"

Yeah, no. Civ IV had more depth and complexity. Civ V isn't a bad game per say, there's just far less sensible choices to make.

No mentiton of Blizzard titles really does make me wonder if this is a serious list.

18. cogenmaster

cogenmaster TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

Seriously!!!! How can you not mention TA or Supreme Commander. My father in law and I still play supreme commander through FA forever to this day. Hard to believe you failed to mention either of them.

19. qking

qking TS Rookie

WOLOLOOOOOOOOOOO!!

20. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

Warcraft 3 forever.

21. Forebode

Forebode TS Booster Posts: 80   +7

I love those games. Even ashes is similar. Perhaps they aren't included because they rely more on massing and attacking.

22. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

At the endgame sure, it often ends up being swarm battles if players leave each other alone for too long, but generally there's a lot of strategy in intelligence gathering, resource disruption, and area denial. All of which is even harder considering the scale of some maps.

I really need to get Ashes or start playing FA again ha ha ha...

23. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 736   +241

That's a funny way of spelling Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

24. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

I might get Shogun 2 because of this list, I never gave it a chance to be honest. I'm very shocked you omitted SupCom FA from this though. It is easily the best RTS I've played.

25. Jonny5isalivetm

Jonny5isalivetm TS Rookie

I Played TA since the first Demo in good ole 97' and still playing or more Spectating to this day via SpringRTS until the Day I die.

The Box on my Wall states:- Total Annihaltion will quite simply, erase Red Elert from your memory.

Yes it is so good I put it on the wall :)

Amen.