The Best Tablets: Top Overall, Budget and Productivity Pick

By Jos
Nov 4, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Tablets occupy an odd place in the market these days. With smartphones getting bigger and laptops getting thinner and lighter, their scope has been narrowed down significantly, but the battle is still being fought and we have a few solid alternatives to choose from. We’ve gone through countless of professional reviews combined with our own experiences and user reviews to bring you our picks for: best overall tablet, best budget alternative, best for Android users and best for productivity.

Read on and check out the best tablets.

2. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 311   +93

I was still deciding between a laptop and tablet, leaning more to a laptop as a power user, and bad experiences with my only tablet.

You're list just pretty much makes me want a laptop. Tablets today seem to fit such a niche area that it's hard to see where they actually fit.
  3. jizzyburnizzy

jizzyburnizzy TS Rookie Posts: 47

I'm in the same boat but still leaning towards the Surface as it has both the tablet and laptop feel.
    I may get a surface pro 3 if they have some good sales during black Friday. I'm not willing to shell out that much money for a surface pro 4
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,441   +594

agb81 likes this.
  5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

Thanks for the link, but it's outdated. I don't expect the situation to be better now; after giving SONY their second chance, for me, anything bad that will happen is a consequence of focusing in their specs only -not even hardware, since I'm fed with the overheating problem since the Z2.

Mediocre software, terrible customer care, nice specs and battery. I'm already jumping off SONY's boat this Christmas and I'll never look back. I was more fond of my W810 that lasted with me 5 years until I lost it, than the Z2 that stayed with me less than 6 months.
  6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,441   +594

To be clear, I am not trying to ridicule the recommendation in this article or badmouth Sony. It's one of those companies I can never fully dislike because of the Playstations throughout the years and the great design and accessibility decisions they have made with them.
    But I still get this cocky vibe from them with their pricing and stance, I dunno...maybe its just me.
  7. axiomatic13

axiomatic13 TS Booster Posts: 88   +30

My choices are "walled garden" or "bloatware and slow upgrades if ever?" Those are pretty terrible choices. I would take a Nexus 7 over any of these choices.
  8. KupKaa

KupKaa TS Rookie

I strongly vouch for the iPad Mini 2. My second stellar piece of tech (my first was the iPhone 4, which is still my one and only phone). The Mini 2 has been my rock-solid companion in several journeys abroad (I have the Cellular option and I get a local SIM card and data plan). My favorite part about it is its compact, yet very usable, form factor. Along with a quality (paper) notebook of roughly the same size but thicker, and a couple of pens in my pocket, I have been unbelievably effective in getting around town and getting things done, without the need for a bag on my shoulder. And yes, the apps do just about anything I want, just short of scratching my back. So... go get this Mini 2. It's not just a show thing. In fact, nobody even notices me carrying it when I have it with my notebook (they see the notebook). There are downsides though...One, you can't read magazines on it for very long (like on long flights) without eyestrain (for which you'll often wish the screen were bigger) and the even bigger downside it that despite this it is addictive as hell. It's been a year and a half since I bought my Mini 2 and I an strongly considering checking into rehab.
  9. Randomthom

Randomthom TS Enthusiast Posts: 48   +16

Always had the same feel about them. Particularly with their penchant for proprietary technologies like the Sony Memory Stick Duo in digital cameras when everyone else was using standardised card formats such as SD or MMC. Apple seem to have firmly taken this crown now though.
    If these two companies had a school report, it would read "does not play well with others".
  10. Peter Farkas

Peter Farkas TS Addict Posts: 214   +67

Interesting how the battery life of the ipad air 2 was considered as a Con in the editor's review while in this article it is mentioned as "Good/ Most have it"....
  11. Brotherz

Brotherz TS Enthusiast Posts: 25

Why can't I see the htc Nexus 9????
  12. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Guru Posts: 337   +43

I know it's becoming a niche market, but have been using my Nexus 7 daily for nearly two years, even after finally getting a smartphone last year. I prefer the tablet's bigger screen for playing games and watching movies. I don't know what I will do when it dies - for cost considerations, portability, and convenience, I don't want a tablet bigger than 7" (nor a phone larger than 5"), and due to my catalog of apps I want to stick with Android and the Play Store (so no iPad or Kindle Fire). I have not noticed any other 7" Android tablet with its combination of price and performance since the Nexus 7 was discontinued.
  13. lazer

lazer TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +10

Why Samsung is not mentioned, I don't know, but I have one and love it. Battery is OK, speed is great and is lite weight too.
  14. MadClocker

MadClocker TS Rookie

You can see the new Nexus 9 here
  15. MadClocker

MadClocker TS Rookie

While it would be cool to have one of these more expensive rigs out there, I an quite happy with my Cheap Chinese 7" tablet...the only prob I have with it and it is my own fault is no bluetooth. I never realized that the model had no bluetooth until after I got it. For a 32 bit quad-core it is fairly loads and plays movies rather well. I can even play "Tomb Raider" on it. I think I will get me a ten incher after the holidays...looking at the Dragon Touch..It doesn't have a 64 bit octacore, but it still runs smooth.
    Maybe someone should do an article about the best of the cheap brands? Just a thought.