The Best Video Game Handguns

Nothing beats the BFG, which combines all the power with two apt names it is known as:

- Bio-Force Gun
- Big #ucking Gun

whichever you like most.

Every nerd's dream...

B_df2f3f_1429129.jpg

Last edited:
Deus Ex 1, Best weapon in the entire game is the 9mm handgun. Play it on Realistic, and everything dies with close to 1 shot except for the heavily armoured bastards you encounter in Hong Kong, which may need a round or 2 to eliminate

I'm surprised you didn't mention No One Lives Forever. The "normal" three Petri revolver / Shephard Arms 9mm / Braun 9mm pistols already felt solid enough (especially enhanced with the dum-dum (hollow-point), cyanide (poison bullets that made you hallucinate goats) or phosphorous rounds (that first blind then set enemies on fire)). The late-game King though was the "Bacalov Corrector", basically a single-shot break-action "sort of" pistol that fired seriously overpowered explosive shells and pretty much cleared each room with 1-shot. Realistic and balanced? No. "Old school" fun as hell? Absolutely...

I vaguely remember installing a mod for Unreal Tournament that changed all the weapons. One weapon was a water pistol filled with some awesome acid. That was cool! I also remember a baby doll you would throw, and it would walk around saying "mama mama", but a nuke would go off if you touched it.

I vaguely remember installing a mod for Unreal Tournament that changed all the weapons. One weapon was a water pistol filled with some awesome acid. That was cool! I also remember a baby doll you would throw, and it would walk around saying "mama mama", but a nuke would go off if you touched it.

The Unreal4Ever mod. Still have it installed!!!

Half Life 2 had and I think always will have the best hand gun, that big ol' revolver, I remember the first time I played it, shortly after getting my 5.1 Logitech E5300, the thud that was emitted from that subwoofer when you pulled the trigger, biblical. It was just perfect, and the damage it dealt, it could send those pesky guards flying across the room with a single bullet.

Destiny had some fun guns, but Destiny itself was never terribly fun unfortunately. Boderlands just had too much for any single handgun to be as note worthy. And most other games just make pistols out to be side arms that have no range, or lose too much power over anything more than short range to be of any use. With the exception to the Desert Eagle witch fortunately does get portrayed as the hand cannon it is most of the time and can be fun to use, Deagle rounds in CSS were among my favorites, also I had it skinned to be the revolver from Half Life 2, so lots of that awesome thuddy bass every time you pull the trigger.

The old Clint Eastwood ,westerns ,he allways preferred a single action revolver,because you just hold in the trigger and slap the hammer ,and it fires faster than a semi automatic pistol just not very accurate.great at close quarters.

You guys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie....

Just a few that I thought were great:

Perfect Dark
Falcon 2 - Fast - accurate - versatile
MagSec 4 - Powerful - secondary Rapid fire
Phoenix - Secondary explosive rounds
Mauler - Fast - Powerful secondary

Deus Ex Human Revolution
Zenith CA-40 - Versatile

What about Killing Floor Pistols? What about Serious Sam? What about Fallout? What about Half Life? So many important but ignored or unknown for the editor.

DESERT EAGLE (Silver Talon) in Soldier of Fortune/Gold.

Where else did you see a handgun capable of Blowing limbs off the target, or exposing their intestines?

I own a Desert Eagle .50. The 44 model jams more.

I recently bought a Kimber .45 Ultra II. Fantastic, magnificent gun.

I think the Desert Eagle is easily the most powerful handgun model in the vast majority of games. they usually start you with a 9mm and the next gun up is a Desert Eagle or something along the same lines of it. Counter Strike started that trend I would say.

The Desert Eagle was the one gun in Counter Strike which you could take up against guys with sub machine guns and rifles - yet be almost assured a one-hit-headshot-kill.

Quake 2's blaster wasn't anywhere near as powerful feeling as the handgun in DOOM or Duke Nukem 3D.

Last edited:
This is a really great forum. Hopefully Techspot will do a "best Rifle" and "best sniper" and "best rocket launcher".

The Desert Eagle in Soldier of Fortune is unquestionably the most memorable for anyone who played it. Blowing off entire limbs or even heads of the enemy soldiers made the gun stand out and relevant all the way through the game.
Also memorable would be the Pistols from the Dues Ex series, fully upgraded, they were also extremely useful throughout the entire game.
Honorable mention for pistols in Borderlands, very useful to some classes.

The Desert Eagle in Soldier of Fortune is unquestionably the most memorable for anyone who played it. Blowing off entire limbs or even heads of the enemy soldiers made the gun stand out and relevant all the way through the game.
Also memorable would be the Pistols from the Dues Ex series, fully upgraded, they were also extremely useful throughout the entire game.
I had forgot about SOF, it was a really fun game, and the Desert Eagle was really good for dismembering enemies. It is a pity they dont make games like this anymore.

Although this article focuses on FPS games, I'd like to mention the unique .223 pistol from the original Fallout. It was the best weapon for the majority part of the game.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/.223_pistol_(Fallout

As for multiplayer FPS titles, Beretta 93R from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was superbly useful if one knew how to handle it. For single player, I'd also go with the Silver Talon from Soldier of Fortune.

I had forgot about SOF, it was a really fun game, and the Desert Eagle was really good for dismembering enemies. It is a pity they dont make games like this anymore.

Why the industry gave up on Gore Zones I'll never understand.

Back