The Bradley is the stylish watch that lets you feel time

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Timepieces aren’t anything new for Kickstarter as we’ve seen a number of innovative watch ideas spring to life on the crowdfunded website – but nothing quite like The Bradley. That’s the name of an innovative and attractive wristwatch that allows the wearer to tell time using touch instead of having to actually look at the watch face.

Created in collaboration with product designers, engineers, and people with vision loss, The Bradley features a titanium watch face with raised hour marks (the major marks are textured to distinguish with minor marks) alongside a set of ball bearings. A single ball bearing on the face of the watch allows the wearer to indicate minutes while another on the outer rim of the watch is used to determine the hour.

The ball bearings are connected to magnets under the watch face. This allows them to move somewhat freely (they can be knocked off their axis, so to speak) but a simple shake of the wrist will return them to their correct location.

Aside from helping those with visual impairments tell time, The Bradley can be useful in a number of different scenarios for those without vision problems. For example, one could check the time in a dark movie theater without having to illuminate a smartphone and disturb others. It could also be useful when you need to check the time but are in the middle of an important meeting with a client and don’t want to come off rude.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that can be the most useful.

With 33 days left in the campaign, The Bradley has already amassed just over $100,000 in pledges from 635 backers as of writing. The initial goal was just $40,000 which means the watch will ultimately make it into production. A donation of $128 will guarantee you get one of the first watches when they become available (from the second batch as the first has already sold out) in early December.

Permalink to story.

A tragic waste of potential...

I assume you are taking about Bradley's blindness. While I don't totally disagree watching the video its obvious he has become a huge motivation for countless people, so not a complete waste then.

The watch or timepiece rather is a very very cool concept.

I'm not blind, but I like the watch. I'd inevitably see a blind person on the street and feel obligated to give it to them though... Maybe I should buy more than one.

A tragic waste of potential...

well, do you think that maybe this will help many of those that have been born blind or had something terrible like a fire happen to them and it burned their eyes so bad that they were never able to see again,
they just used the wrong story in the film

Back