The Cesium 133 is the world's first true atomic wristwatch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If the current crop of smartwatches isn’t to your liking, perhaps this truly smart watch on Kickstarter will fit the bill. It’s called the Cesium 133 and is the world’s first wristwatch powered by a cesium-based oscillator… or in other words, it’s an atomic clock strapped to your wrist.

If being punctual is your thing, this could be the time piece for you as it’s described as the world’s most accurate wristwatch. Inside is a chip-scale atomic clock (CSAC) that precisely divides a second into exactly 9,192,631,770 vibrations of the cesium 133 atom.

That’s the exact scientific definition of a second by the International System of Units so you can bet it’s accurate. Dr. John Patterson, owner of Bathys Hawaii, claims the watch is accurate to one second over the course of 1,000 years.

The current prototype is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery that’s capable of running up to 30 hours depending on operating mode. It uses a traditional analog dial display that showcases hours, minutes, seconds, the date and the current moon phase.

The project has already surpassed its $42,000 funding goal and there’s still 26 days left. As you can imagine, owning such a high-tech watch isn’t cheap. You’ll need to pledge $6,000 to be one of the first to receive a Cesium 133 prototype watch. At present, there are only two left at this price so if fancy watches are your thing, you better get on it now.

Permalink to story.

the watch is accurate to one second over the course of 1,000 years.

Oh, but I need one that's accurate to one second over the course of a million years!

Very cool, but I hope it's water proof. Cesium explodes if it comes in contact with water. I'm sure they protect against this, but it is something most watch owners don't need to worry about. :)

"...battery that’s capable of running up to 30 hours depending on operating mode."

You know, I'd rather just get a regular plastic watch that will cost me $5 and the battery will last ~2 years.

Whats the point in keeping your arm accurate when you have to continuously set the time with other non-accurate devices. I'm willing to bet your boss is not gonna decide whether or not you are late, depending on the time of your wrist watch.

Now why would I consider spending $6000 on a watch that's accurate to the second over a thousand years? If I lived and the battery lasted a thousand years it may make a bit more sense.

I think this is what they call "a conversation piece" and an expensive one at that. Recharge every 30 h..LOL

Well, aren't internet clocks getting their time from atomic clocks?

Though I am pretty sure that I missing a few msecs due to latency...
Unless they actually accounted for that.

But if you're setting it to the wrong time, it's still wrong. Hur.

Are you F___in kidding me? How can anything be accurate if it continually has to be reset? I guess we all want to ware ugly bricks around on our wrists.

Well, aren't internet clocks getting their time from atomic clocks?

Though I am pretty sure that I missing a few msecs due to latency...
Unless they actually accounted for that.

But if you're setting it to the wrong time, it's still wrong. Hur.

Yes, code has the provisions to account for latency when sending timestamps. :)

This is retarded. I am accurate to 30 million years of one second but I only last 30 days of that time. hahahaha. So I have to be set 30 days anyways. hahaha. And my size is that of a cell phone that sets itself over the network to be accurate anyways. Also I only need a watch that can stay accurate while I am alive. What do I care if it is going to be accurate for my grand children. They can learn to set their own watches. Hahaha.

Well I think you all missed the point... AN ATOMIC WATCH FFS!! Even if it's ugly or expensive as hell, it's a freaking ATOMIC WRIST WATCH!! I mean... COME ON! How cooler than that could you get?? (No pun intended).

I thought we were in here for the OOMPH, how much OOMPH do you need than A FREAKING ATOMIC WRIST WATCH!!

I'm not rich enough to afford OOMPH :)

Great concept. Horrible design. Questionable safety. Plus I haven't worn a watch in years. It's just one more thing that smartphones have replaced. And they can probably sync daily to an online atomic clock.

I think most of y´all are missing the point...
If one of you owns a echanichal watch, you have to set the time every week or so because it goes forward or backward. you have to wear it so the automati movement coils the spring, or you have to turn the dial to coil the spring. so the battery part is a null argument...
For the safetly... CSACs are being used by military for location purpouses.. also the device they were using to find the black box for the Malasia air plane had one of these CSAC clocks in it... so as to safetey, im sure its pretty safe...
its all about what the watch CAN do, not what it IS going to do. most watches/cars/cellphones arent being used to their capacities. Im sure that you didnt know that your smarphone chip processor, with the adecuate conditions can run to 800,000 mega hertz... will you do it? probs not. but if you have a 4x4 car and arent using it to go off road... then why own it.
its the technology behind the watch that makes it kickass. as a previous coment said... its an ATOMIC clock on your wrist... if yáll havent googled a picture of an atomic clock, please do... it will help you appreciate the miniaturization and amazingness of this project...
PS also google tourbillon... those are the most acurate mechanichal watches... ALL above 50,000 USD... just saying...

Back