The chaotic machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very bizarre situation. So I will list ALL the symptoms that I am observing and go from there...

System Specs:

AMD Dual-Core +5500 brisbane
1 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte
S-series GA-M61PME-S2 Motherboard
1 Seagate 80GB system hard drive (the system boots from this drive)
1 Seagate 250GB storage drive
420W PSU
CD-Burner
Standard Heatsink

I am fairly certain there are a multitude of problems, so I do not expect there to be a single answer/problem that would explain everything that is going on.

For one, I occasionally get a BSOD followed by a physical memory dump, followed by a reboot. I am almost certain this is due to a failing hard drive.

However, after recently adding 2 additional case fans, everything seemed to turn to chaos.

Now, most of the time, when I turn on the power, the system will not post, I just get 3 loud beeps, and then nothing happens. I shut it off, and try again, same thing.

The only way I can get it to boot is by randomly disconnecting and re-connecting things such as IDE cables, internal power cables, USB cables etc... The system will then run stably for a while (sometimes for a day or two, sometimes a couple of ours, and sometimes only a few minutes, it varies without pattern.) Inevitably, when the system crashes, I then continue to get the beep errors and it will not boot. I then have to go in and repeat this process of "messing with the cables" until it will boot again.

My first thought is that it is a bad mobo, but then I started thinking that maybe the PSU is not giving the system enough juice? Any input would really help! I am probably just missing something... Thanks!

I suggest you disconnect and then reconnect everything once again on your motherboard. Its really difficult to say what your problem might be.
It could often be the PSU, but without any heavy duty graphics card your wattage seems fine.

What about your CPU temperatures? Any ideas? It might be getting very hot...

CPU Temps are fine. A little on the warm side, but not nearly hot enough to shut the system down. I realized though, after a closer look at the existing PSU, that it does not have the extra 4-pin 12volt connector that is added onto the main ATX power connector on the mobo.. could that be the problem staring me in the face?

What PSU do you have?

The fact that you're missing those extra volts sounds like the reason you're having stability issues - that coupled with it probably being an old power supply that's wearing out.

I'd reccomend something from the Corsair HX, Seasonic S12 or Antec Earthwatts PSU range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back