The CPU Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have a question that reveals just how painfully new I am to this whole computer building jazz.

UPS just showed up today with my last part for my new PC, the CPU. But I was told by a buddy at work that it would be wise to pick up some Silver Thermal Compound. So I bought it. Now I need to apply the stuff. Huge brick wall!!! After a little searching I found this link...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2125980_use-silver-thermal-compound.html

... which in turn brings me to my painful question. What side of the CPU is the core? Is it the side with all the chips on it? and if so, is it the center part or the outter part? Or is it just the part that is facing upwards when the CPU is installed?

Any input would be appriciated.

Make sure you put on the right amount (size of a grain of rice) and get the heatsink seated correctly to avoid damage to the CPU from heat.

Oops, well I applied way too much, but while spreading it around I ended up scrapping off alot of the excess compound. I ended up with a very thin layer. I can actually see the metal color of the CPU thru it.

New problem, how to figure out if this grey'ish thing on the bottom of the stock Heat Sink is a Thermal pad?!?

i dont think i can help you with that, is it sticky? it may just be more paste , but i really dont know for sure.

well it's not sticky, and can't be moved... I'm sure if I took a razor blade to it, it would scrape off, but I'm thinking that would be a bad move!

i have some sticky stuff on mine that i have yet to install, im sure its factory paste, but yours, i dont know. wish i could help you our more.

tell ppl what cpu it is and maybe they will be able to help you out.
also let them know if the heatsink is stock or not. ;) gl with your new pc

Well I bought a Core 2 Duo E6750 which came with a stock Intel LGA775 heatsink. I don't know if that'll make a difference in being able to tell if this stuff on the bottom of the Heatsink is Thermal padding or not. I've searched around the web a bit and wasn't able to come up with any helpful info.

And thanks for everything, Tastegw. You've been helpful!

Stock LGA775 cooler usually come with a pre-applied layer of silver thermal grease. This is to speed up the process of installing a system, where you can just snap on a HSF without having to squeeze paste out of a little tube thing...
But if you've rubbed it or somehow disfigured the pre-applied layer of grease, then you would need to start fresh and apply your own thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back