The Czinger 21C is a 3D-printed, $1.7 million hypercar that can do 268mph

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: We’ve seen 3D printing techniques create a multitude of items, and now the process has been used to build a hypercar for the first time. The Czinger 21C will be officially shown off at the Geneva Motor Show in around two weeks, but its full details have been revealed.

While the entire car doesn’t come from a 3D printer, obviously, large portions of the chassis were created using the technology. That does save on production costs, but you'll still need $1.7 million to buy one of the 80 models (25 track, 55 road).

The Czinger (the ‘C’ is silent) 21C uses an in-house developed 2.9-litre twin-turbo V8 engine that produces 937 bhp and can be revved up to 11,000rpm. It’s a hybrid, meaning there are also two electric motors on the front axle powered by a 2kWh lithium-titanate battery that’s kept supplied with juice by a rear-mounted generator.

The extra horsepower added by the electric motors brings the 21C’s total to 1,233bhp, more than the McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, and Aston Martin Valkyrie.

With a weight of just 1,250kg (2,755 pounds) wet, the 21C has a power-to-weight ratio better than 1:1 in the track version. Performance-wise, the hypercar can accelerate to 62mph from a standing start in 1.9 seconds, complete a quarter-mile in 8.3 seconds at 170mph, and reach a top speed of 268mph. It produces 551 pounds of downforce at 155 mph.

The mid-engine car uses a 1+1 layout, which means the driver seat is in a central position with the passenger seat located directly behind it, like a fighter jet. It won't be uncomfortable, either, as a collaboration with material-maker Alcantara and US furniture designers Vitra AG should mean a luxurious cabin.

In addition to being more rigid and costing less to produce, the 3D materials used in the 21C are easily recyclable, meaning more car manufacturers could follow suit. “I want to build really bad-ass stuff, but if you’re a craftsman who is actually a technologist, you need to create the right tools. I want this car company Czinger to be five blocks ahead of anybody else on the planet in creating these tools and expressing them as the cutting edge of the mind.” CEO Kevin Czinger told Top Gear.

Permalink to story.

#1. What tires is it using to handle those forces without bursting?

#2. Without a huge airbrake ala the Bugatti, what’s the stopping distance?

#3. Reliability?

#4. Longevity?

"the 3D materials used in the 21C are easily recyclable"

How many of these do they think will be recycled to make any kind of impact? seriously LOL

Nothing negative, just hysterical. Did they actually drive it to get those speed numbers, or just use a computer simulation? Nice car though.

How many of these do they think will be recycled to make any kind of impact? seriously LOL

Nothing negative, just hysterical. Did they actually drive it to get those speed numbers, or just use a computer simulation? Nice car though.
When you hit a wall at that speed you go through the recycling process automatically.

What technology did they use though? Is strange that they would use buzz words in this sphere. People with such access as to an asset like this, you'd think have the wits of Elon Musk, etc. Knowing each piece and how is manufactured and developed.
Afaik 3d printing is a laser that scalps the structure you're giving it, through the guide of computer's framework. Its said the flaw is that casting such molds, have imperfections, and the sturcture has less strength to the conventional approach.
I think I seen this on a documentary, where they couldn't use it to create cruisers turbines and propellers.
I wonder how these people are ranting about their day and how they feel compared to other people, like hey, how should I speak about this new car I got?

Last edited:
Much cheaper, 3D-printed cars, they said...

Somebody didn't get the memo.
You also have to take into account the design and engineering as well as the fact that they are only building 80. People will pay with enough money that to be one of the few who have one.

More toys for the uber rich. Hey, maybe the tech will drop the price, but I doubt it.

You also have to take into account the design and engineering as well as the fact that they are only building 80. People will pay with enough money that to be one of the few who have one.
I think its obvious they only have one thing in their sights - $$$$$$$$$ and how much they will be getting on each sale.

When you hit a wall at that speed you go through the recycling process automatically.

Agreed, although my point was if they thought there would be enough to make any kind of environmental impact. Especially when most of them won't even see one mile of usage - collecting dust.

#3. Reliability?

#4. Longevity?
#1. These - https://www.motor1.com/news/370799/michelin-bugatti-chiron-300-mph-carbon-fiber/

#2. From top speed? Until officially tested unknown.

#3. Doesn't matter, people who buy this will drive it once a year and it will never get the mileage required to actually cause anything to fail.

#4. Same question answer above.

#3. Reliability?

#4. Longevity?

#5 What's the rush?

Car hasn't even been officially revealed yet, so wait like the rest of us....

Agreed, although my point was if they thought there would be enough to make any kind of environmental impact. Especially when most of them won't even see one mile of usage - collecting dust.

If the claims and benefits are real, that won't matter.

I think its obvious they only have one thing in their sights - $$$$$$$$$ and how much they will be getting on each sale.

Believe it or not, sometimes cars like these (supercars) aren't very profitable. Sometimes they are even sold at a loss.

Nobody seems to notice the lithium titanate battery with a lifetime of over 5000 recharging cycles and bigger discharging currents.I wonder what's the voltage?

Not only that, but if they recycle the body parts, where are you going to get a left front fender and hood in a hurry, when you inadvertently run down a crossing guard, while doing 175 mph in a school zone? :eek: :confused:

Nobody seems to notice the lithium titanate battery with a lifetime of over 5000 recharging cycles and bigger discharging currents.I wonder what's the voltage?
Russia mines, (or at least at one time did), the the majority of titanium in the world.

In fact, the US had to use straw buyers to purchase the necessary titanium to build the SR-71. Which of course, we then used to spy on them.

OTOH, titanium dioxide is the primary pigment al all white paints.

So I think your guess is as good as mine... :confused:

Back