The Dreaded AUTOCHK.EXE not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktkt2006

Hi - I am pretty sure I know what this is - installed a windows update and then had a crash in the middle, now I get the error:

autochk program not found skipping AUTOCHECK

Even when booting into safe mode. The good news is, I DID create the recovery tools cd, so I can get to the recovery console, the bad news is, I can't get PTEDIT to run from DOS. PTEDIT is actually in the root drive, I just can't get it to run.

Any other solutions? I see a lot of comments about booting from a floppy... I don't have a floppy drive...

hey try this

First question. Do you happen to have your Windows XP cd? Hopefully, because you're going to need it to fix this problem. If you have it then try the following:

Using your XP installation CD, boot to the Recovery Console

When you get to the command prompt window, type the following
commands:

chkntfs /x c:
There is a space before and after /x
This cancels the checkdsk on drive C:

Next, type this command

Copy E:\i386\autochk.exe C:\Windows\System32\

Where E: is the drive letter of your CD drive. Change this for your system.

Here is a microsoft site on how to get into the recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Let me know how things go.

Hi - Thank you for the reply!

I do have my cds - and I can boot to the recovery console. This is where I run into issues - I am presented with three options:

1 c:\I386
2 c:\MiniNT
3: i:\WINDOWS

The first two put me in those directories, and I can't CD out of them.

The last one prompts me for the password (I don't know the password, it isn't my windows login)

OK I am in the recovery console and was able to get to windows, but it looks like chkntfs isn't a valid command in the recovery console - there's a whole list on the MS link you sent.

Am going to try copying the PTEDIT file again.

was able to get into windows drive (no password! - no wonder i didn't know it) only problem is the recovery console appears to use different commands - typical cd and chkntfs won't work.

Found your solution on the MS site as well - will try copying the file from the recovery CD and see what happens.

Hi - I did the above and am still having the same issue - the file is there, I think the drive is hidden.

I am hoping I can fix this with PTEDIT but I can't figure out how to get to DOS. Is there an easy way to get to a DOS prompt (not the recovery console) from the bootable Win XP CD? Don't have a floppy drive...

Still need help...

Hi - I have tried the suggestions here and nothing has worked - I was able to create a boot disk to get to PTEDIT but that didn't work either...

Was never able to get chkntfs to work to turn off the autochk - anyone know how to do that from the recovery console?

what do you mean you think the file is there but the drive is hidden. Didi it give you an error when trying to copy the file

If you feel you can work in the registry you can edit it manually

Open Regedit and modify this (if absent): go to strat>run and type regedit then go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
AutoChkTimeOut
DWORD = 0

Or modify this if the value is different:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
BootExecute
REG_Multi_SZ = autocheck autochk *

Hi - the file is definitely there, and I have copied it from the system restore disks as well. I think the drive is hidden, based on previous threads in this board and others.

I can't get into windows - so no start menu. Can I get to regedit from system recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back