The Event is poised to become China's first homegrown electric sports car

Shawn Knight

Staff member

executive shows china home-grown electric sports car china tesla electric car sports car event ev ev sports car electric sports car

Tesla may be turning heads in the US with its small fleet of electric vehicles but in China, EV enthusiasts’ eyes are focused on what could be the country’s first homegrown electric sports car.

Recently shown off at the Shanghai auto show, the car is simply known as the Event from CH-Auto. The brainchild of former Jeep executive Lu Qun, the Event is powered by a 48kWh battery capable of a range of 155 miles. It can go from zero to 100 kilometers (to 0-62 mph) in 4.6 seconds. That’s not quite as fast as Tesla’s Model S P85D but it’s still quite zippy.

executive shows china home-grown electric sports car china tesla electric car sports car event ev ev sports car electric sports car ch-auto lu qun the event

China’s air pollution problem could greatly benefit from a successful electric vehicle. The government has pledged support to the development of EVs with sales climbing to 18,000 units last year but breaking into the market has proven especially difficult.

Like anywhere else, the success of an electric vehicle largely hinges on the availability of recharging stations. China’s dense population and large landmass aren’t exactly ideal when it comes to building out supporting infrastructure.

To make headway, Qun will initially target the high-end market. Once the brand and its dragonfly logo have been established, CH-Auto will turn its attention to high-volume, affordable vehicles (sound familiar?). If everything goes as planned, the Event could enter production as early as late 2016.

Pricing wasn't revealed although industry analysts tell The Wall Street Journal they expect it to come in around the $115,000 mark.

What are your thoughts on the overall styling? The Event loosely resembles the Veyron IMO although I think that's just due to the two-tone paint job playing tricks on my mind.

Images via WSJ, CarNewsChina

Permalink to story.

So how much of the design did they steal from Tesla through industrial espionage?

"So how much of the design did they steal from Tesla through industrial espionage?"

it's not only Tesla, you can find copycat(s) from almost all famous brand there.. Jeep, Mercedes, Honda, Apple, Gucci, Rolex etc etc.. they even copycat Starbuck!! It's true!! LoL

Everyone knows chinese are good in copying. The bad thing is that it doesn't always copy the quality.

Driving 65mph down the highway in a car "made in china". Better bring a change of pants.

Yes your cheap radio, or seats, and the plastic surrounding them may be made in china. But I can bet vital parts such as the engine, brakes, transmission, are made in the US or a neighboring country. Or at least Germany or Japan.

Look into the "Mastretta MXT". Id rather drive a car designed by Ford in America and built in mexico, than a car designed and built in mexico. Same goes for China.

There is a difference. As I'm sure even you can figure out, China is not known for quality control.

And if you think its still the same....I hear china sells tires too. Try em out.

I'm only pointing out that if you buy anything made with parts from China, you have no grounds to complain about quality from China.

Another point that I didn't mention is that it doesn't matter where you buy from. There will be a weak component somewhere, because no manufacturer wants you secured where you won't come back to spend more money. They will never sell a car that you only have to buy tires for as the years go by.

I'm only pointing out that if you buy anything made with parts from China, you have no grounds to complain about quality from China.
I get what you're saying, but I think his point was that even if it's made in China, it has to pass US inspection and safety rules to be driven in the US. If it's built in China and driven in China there would be none of these guidelines to follow.

China has gotten a bad rap lately (and rightfully so) because they had some pet food kill some pets and Lumber Liquidators had the scandal where their flooring had more formaldehyde than was allowed in California and it was made in China. Point is... they're easy to pick on for their quality :) I'd expect these will be high quality because they're expensive. I doubt the Chinese like getting ripped off any more than your average American.

Back