The expensive 49-inch Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 gaming monitor is available for pre-order

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Samsung has announced one of its most impressive-sounding and expensive consumer monitors: the Odyssey OLED G9. The 49-inch super-ultrawide boasts a massive 5,120 x 1,440 (32:9) resolution, a 1800R curve, and a 240Hz refresh rate, making it an alluring prospect for gamers.

The latest entry in Samsung's Odyssey monitor line uses the same Dual Quad HD resolution found in the original Odyssey G9 and Odyssey Neo G9, both of which we really like.

The main difference with this latest monitor, as the name suggests, is the move from a VA panel to OLED, bringing with it all the advantages of the display technology, such as perfect blacks. Moreover, Samsung says the use of its Quantum Dot tech offers better brightness and colors compared to usual OLED panels.

Samsung has also given the latest Odyssey model a less aggressive curve than its predecessors, moving from 1000R to 1800R, which will likely be appreciated by most users.

Elsewhere, Samsung says that the addition of the Neo Quantum Processor Pro means the monitor can use a deep learning algorithm. It intelligently analyzes images and automatically upscales to adjust brightness while amplifying contrast.

Other specs include AMD FreeSync Premium Pro and HDR True Black 400 certification, though the typical brightness is rated at 250 nits. There's also an impressive 0.03ms GtG response time, 240Hz refresh rate, two 5W built-in speakers, a remote control, and CoreSync and Core Lightning+ providing the obligatory RGB lighting, which can be synchronized with onscreen content

The monitor also comes with the Samsung Gaming Hub and smart TV apps integrated. Users can play the likes of Xbox Game Pass and GeForce Now (and both together, soon) and watch apps such as Prime Video, Netflix, and YouTube without connecting to a PC, made possible by the integrated Wi-Fi. You can connect a controller using Bluetooth, too. There's also SmartThings integration, voice controls, Alexa, and Bixby.

Connectivity is provided by one DisplayPort 1.4, one HDMI 2.1, one Micro HDMI 2.1, and a USB Hub.

And then we come to the price. The original Odyssey G9 launched at $1,700, while the Odyssey OLED G9 ups that to $2,200. You could put together a high-end PC for that amount, but it's still cheaper than the $2,500 Odyssey Neo G9, which offers 2,000 nits of peak brightness.

Pre-orders for the Odyssey OLED G9 open today and it should be delivered on June 26. If you have a lot of money spare and need this monitor in your life, securing it early comes with the bonus of a $250 Samsung gift card.

Permalink to story.

The curve radius on my Neo G9 feels great to me. I'm surprised they're going towards flatter, the monitor is quite wide and you do need to swivel your head to see the edges, even with the curve.

I'm curious for the reviews, particular around text crispness and suitability for productivity. Going full 32:9 for gaming can be fun but it's not the killer app for me - that's the productivity boost of having so much real estate to spread my work windows around, and have them all be readily usable corner to corner. I think OLED may be less good for this purpose, and the monitor itself a tougher sell for purely recreational purposes.

You can get a frigging a 60 inches 8K TV for that price!

Not to mention that 8K TV do 2160p 120HZ 10bits HDR and VRR...

I was hoping they will start using dp 2.1. Maybe Nvidia knew this would happen. What happened to all those "8k" uktrawides that AMD took a significant amount of time from presentation promoting with dp 2.1 standard?

By the way... enjoy OLED on a desktop... it just works...

this one is more objective.

Update although I have been using my 48 inch cx since 7/2020 no problems.

FYI c2 48 inch and 42 inch versions selling as low as $899 if not lower at times.
And Alienware 3440x1440p freesync qd oled also as low as $899 with code at dell's website.

Last edited:
Is that croaks of approval from the frog community ?

Maybe flight simulator - RTS tactic games , games with extra info screens

Someone should design a space invaders for it - in that aspect

They call it a gaming monitor - could see if certain productivity apps

Anyway can do 70mm films Ultra Panavision 1:2.76 with pixels to spare

Back