The file is corrupt and un readable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys

i have a problem here that one of my drivers is not working and when i click it to open it show this message "the file or directory is corrupted and un readable
and
when i open any thing like an IE page or my computre or any thing a message in the task bar beside the icons appears say that the driver "h" is unreadable or corrupt please run check disk . then when i run it it says something like the file is using by another process and click yes or no if u want to run chk dsk next time u restart then i restart my pc and nothing happen

i realy dont care if i format it cuz
its size is 10 GB and the used space is 65 mb
but when i click format to drive"h" it start to format it but when it is almost finish the message " windos cannot format " or something like that i cant remember the exact words .
another thing when i start yahoo and log in suddunly a message appears says " that a file in my yahoo cache is corrupted then it restarts my pc without i click anything . it just restart it suddenly >
i removed yahoo messenger from add\remove progamms and then downloaded the last version of yahoo" yahoo 9 "
but the same thing happen .
please tell me what to do "
and please know that my english is not good so use words i understand and
i dont know much "or even less" about computer
please help
thank u in advance
name649

You may have a bad hard drive. When you right-click on the hard drive in My Computer, choose Tools, Check the disk for errors. Then you check the box fo automatic fixing, select check disc on restart...

thanks tmagic 650 for replying
i did like u said
i made a right click on drive "h" then properties then the tab " tools then check now and there was two chec now options
1.automatically fix file system errors
2.scan for an attempt recovery for bad sectors
i chossed both then i clicked start then a message appear " windos cannot make check now "
when it tried to do it again nothing happened even this message didnot appear again
but i want u to know something
my hard drive work properly in the other partions c.d.e.etc........
but only this "h" partition 10 GB that doesnot work
but what about yahoo
i mean it is ok if this "h" partion doesnot work
but i use yahoo all the time
is there a solution ?please

Sounds like you need to delete the partition(s) and reinstall Windows. How many partitions are on the single drive?

i have just one hard drive 80 GB
C for windows about 10
d 20
e 20
f 20
h 10
and what do u mean to delete partions ?
thanks

my computer page is divided into two things
one called " harddisk drives" c 10 GB afor windows .d 20. e 20 f 20 h 10
second called devices with removable storage A flobby disk
j for cd and it is called dvd drive (j)
the one iam talking about is "h" it is a regular drive 10 gb

So your C (80GB) drive is broken up into 5 partitions C, D, E, F, and H? This is such a waste of usable hard drive space! You should have 1 partition 80GB in size for your C drive. With only 10GB for your C drive, what operating system are you running?

drive c
windows xp
used space 8.39 gb
935 mb free space
total 9.30 gb
when i re set up windows i loose data in drive c but other partions i dont

can u please or any one tell me how to fix this yahoo problem cuz i use yahoo a lot
and i need it now

Who set this system up for you? You could have gone 2 partitions 40GB, 40GB. 40GB for Windows and other programs, 40GB for install files and other important data. 935MB is not enough space for anything, including virtual memory that Windows uses. You can't install Yahoo because these extra partitions are useless

believe me i never had a problem with space
the problem here like i told u that now i cant have access to one of my partions which space is 10 gb .and this problem is not much important to me
but the real important one is yahoo
i always used it the old version but when that problem happen i uninstalled it then installed it again the last version but the same problem happen . and believe me it is not a "space thing "
what i want is :
1. can i have access to the broken partion and how ?
2. if i cant what to do?
3.when i log on to yahoo my pc restart itself and be4 it restart a message appear say the file yahoo cache is unreadable and......... like i said in my 1st post
so the possibilties are ?
1.is it a virus ? but i dont think so cuz my antivirus would get it
2. a problem which happen to anyone and easy to solve it if anyone know how tell me
3.what r other options
thanks

Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. Disk Management... Select the H partition and right click on it. Try to format it. If this fails, you have no choice but to try to recover the space by partitioning properly

Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. Disk Management... Select the H partition and right click on it
i did that but only the removable drives appeard the floppy one and cd one
but the c.......and h didnot appear . so i couldnot format it
thx anyway
anotherthing . if i format the whole harddisk and managed it again and set up windows again this problem won't appear ?
thxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, If you format the C drive to its full capacity you may be ok after a Windows reinstall. I am wondering if the C drive has problems. A full format will tell you if the drive is ok

hello guys

i have a problem here that one of my drivers is not working and when i click it to open it show this message "the file or directory is corrupted and un readable
and
when i open any thing like an IE page or my computre or any thing a message in the task bar beside the icons appears say that the driver "h" is unreadable or corrupt please run check disk . then when i run it it says something like the file is using by another process and click yes or no if u want to run chk dsk next time u restart then i restart my pc and nothing happen
<snip>

I think you have a few different though related problems. As previously indicated, reformatting and re-partitioning your drive will probably clear up your problems. But here's some additional information and steps you might take either now or to know about in the future

• Windows, your programs, documents, etc. are, by default, all installed on what is often called the "C drive" but is more accurately the "C partition" on your hard drive.
    > I think your errors may have start to result when the free space on C partition starts running less then 1GB or so. Because then Windows can start having problems allocating the temporary files it needs at some points
  • You need to run chkdsk tool. Problem is chkdsk can not be run on C partition while Windows is running. Chkdsk must be run before Windows gets started. (Once Windows is running, Windows uses C so chkdsk cannot try to fix it)
  • Normally, by selecting the Check disk for errors option (as you tried) will schedule chkdsk to run on the next boot BUT sometimes this doesn't work.
  • To get chkdsk to run for the C drive see CHKDSK will not run - Please help
> Also, i'd advise you can try running CCleaner to remove junk files and free up space on C
> You can also manage your partitions (including allowing you to "merge" partitions) so your C partition has more space. You can use Gparted (a freeware tool) to manage your partitions as needed See [post=720766]How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back