The hidden value of analog

Bob O'Donnell

Staff member

Sometimes, it seems, digital isn’t better. Sure, there are enormous benefits to working with media, files, and devices in the digital domain, but we are, after all, still living in an analog world. As human beings we still touch things with our hands, hear things with our ears, and see things with our eyes—all of which are decidedly (and beautifully) analog reception devices.

In fact, though an increasingly large percentage of our everyday experiences may start out or somehow exist in digital form, none of our interactions with these experiences actually occur in the digital domain. Instead—though it’s very easy to forget—every one of these experiences happen in an extraordinarily high-resolution analog domain (otherwise known as the real world).

While it may seem odd, and maybe even a bit silly, to point this out, as our world becomes increasingly digitized, it’s worth taking a step back to actually notice. It’s also worthwhile to recognize that not all technology-driven pendulums of change always point towards digital. As technology starts to advance, logically it should actually start to become more analog-like.

Indeed, if you look at the history of many innovations in everything from computing to media and beyond, the evolution has started out with analog efforts to create or recreate certain types of content or other information. Many of these early analog efforts had severe limitations, though, so for everything from computer files to audio and beyond, technologies were developed to create, edit, and manipulate this kind of data in digital form.

For the last few decades, we’ve seen the evolution of digital files and the enormous benefits in organization, analysis, and creation that going digital has provided. Now, however, we’re starting to see the limits even that digital technologies can bring for areas such as entertainment content and certain types of information. It’s hard to really see how adding extra digital bits to audio, photo, and video can provide much in the way of real-world benefits, for example.

Along this path of technological development, many people have also noticed, or more precisely missed, the kind of physical interaction that human beings innately crave as part of their basic existence. The end result has been the rediscovery and/or rebirth of older analog technologies that provide some kind of tactile physical experience that a purely digital world had started to remove.

Along this path of technological development, many people have also noticed, or more precisely missed, the kind of physical interaction that human beings innately crave as part of their basic existence.

The best example is probably the case of vinyl records and turntables, which have seen a resurgence of interest even among Gen Z teens and millennials over the last several years. As someone old enough to have an original collection of vinyl, I should be able to remember and appreciate the potential of an analog audio experience. With decades of digital onslaught, though, it’s easy to forget how good the audio quality on a decent turntable and sound system can be. It took a recent experience of someone spinning vinyl at an event I attended to remind me how good it could still sound.

There’s also been a turnaround in, of all things, printed books. Following years of prognostications about the death of print, just this week there was also news that ebook readers and ebook sales were on the decline, while printed books were actually starting to see increases again. Admittedly, an enormous amount of ground was lost here, but it’s fascinating to see that more and more people want to enjoy the analog physical experience that reading a paper book provides them.

Even beyond these examples, there’s still an enormous amount of value that people put into the touch, feel, and experience of using digital devices. The way a device feels in your hand, how the keyboard touch on a laptop feels as you type, all still matters. Looking forward, advancements in both virtually reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are going to become highly dependent on some type of tactile, touch-based feedback in order to improve the “reality” of the experience they offer. Recently, we’ve also seen huge popularity towards some older “analog-style” vintage game consoles.

Musicians have always obsessed over the feel and touch of particular instruments and as our digital devices become the common instruments of our age, there’s something to be said for the quality of the tactile experience they can provide. Plus, in the case of musical instruments, one of the biggest trends over the last several years has been the tremendous refound popularity in knob-based, physically controlled analog synthesizers.

Of course, above and beyond devices, there’s the whole debate of returning more of our personal interactions back to analog form. After overdosing on purely digital interactions, there’s growing interest and enthusiasm for cutting back on our digital time and focusing more on person-to-person analog interactions among people of all ages.

Obviously, we’re not going to be re-entering an era of analog technology, as fun and nostalgic as that might be. But as digital technology evolves, it makes sense for technology-based products and experiences to try to recapture some of the uniquely tactile characteristics, feel, and value that only comes from analog.

Bob O’Donnell is the founder and chief analyst of TECHnalysis Research, LLC a technology consulting and market research firm. You can follow him on Twitter . This article was originally published on Tech.pinions.

Permalink to story.

If anything, digital tech will kick the bucket long before analogue ever does but neither are going to go away anytime soon so for the foreseeable future, they just have to peacefully coexist.

Analogue remains the favorite of true music lovers. It's renewed popularity is confirmed by one disk pressing house in Nashville that has doubled in size in just two years and further significant growth projected. Just keep an eye on the development and sale of record turn tables .... that will REALLY tell the tale!

The author confuses a love of analog over digital with simple nostalgia...

At most 1% of the population can tell the difference between "good" analog and digital sound - the reason vinyl has made a resurgence is people reliving their past - and since it became "cool", younger people have followed suit. I would wager that very few people who own record players can distinguish the sound from an MP3.

The same goes for "classic" consoles. People remember the "good old days" and buy the classic NES in droves.... but I bet most of these people still have modern PCs or modern Consoles and if they were told they could only have 1, it would be the "classic" that they jettisoned.

A simple example of nostalgia can be shown in music. Years ago, "classic" music used to be from the 70s... Now it's from the 80s... and very soon, 90s music will take it's place... The meda that this music comes in - MP3/Cassette/LP/CD, is not relevant here... analog vs digital is not what is driving this - the only real factor here is time.

Printed books are a bit more complex. Reading from a screen and from a physical book are quite different experiences. While I do enjoy the convenience of digital books (being able to take 100 books on a vacation without taking 4 extra suitcases is pretty nice), being able to quickly flip to the beginning (or end) to look at a map or appendix, etc, is far more convenient with a physical book. Publishers really dropped the ball on ebooks - if they really wanted it to take off, they should have included the digital rights with every physical purchase (much like you can now use your movie ticket to redeem a digital copy once it is released). I feel that if I'm paying over $30 for a hardcover book, I should be entitled to a digital ebook as well....

Its kind of funny that CDs are pretty much dead, but Vinyl is making a comeback.
Even cassete tapes are getting popular now.

For those that have not destroyed their hearing yet with heavy Bass at 95dB, the analog spectrum is much wider that digital- - meaning the real low and hi frequency response can NOT be duplicated. Get a copy of "Night on Bald Mountain" and listen to the bass and simultaneous treble of the triangle in the closing phrase.

Just wait until Laserdiscs make a comeback!
I've got 12 inches of disc for you!!

I have vinyl records. But for the collection mainly, I don't listen to them anymore. I prefer digital still. I know vinyl has the range but wav. files are good for me. I don't do vinyl anymore because of the hiss, cracks and pops. They don't record music with hiss, so why listen to hiss?

"Oh I threw this hissing in and made sure it pops and cracks at these notes" said no musician ever.

Just got a laserdisc player recently. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, as I never owned one before, I just simply find the tech interesting, and the ridiculous size of the discs and cool cover art charming.

I have vinyl records. But for the collection mainly, I don't listen to them anymore. I prefer digital still. I know vinyl has the range but wav. files are good for me. I don't do vinyl anymore because of the hiss, cracks and pops. They don't record music with hiss, so why listen to hiss?

"Oh I threw this hissing in and made sure it pops and cracks at these notes" said no musician ever.

I recently bought a vinyl release whcih came with a CD which I ripped at a very high VBR. Side by side by side my iPod through a Cambridge Audio DAC was marginally better than my old Marantz CD 65 SEII which was noticeably better than my Rega Planar 2 with a fairly unused (and clean) Rega Bias through a Cambridge Audio Preamp (all going into the same amp and speaker setup) - I was astounded to find the lossy MP3 to be a better and more engaging sound

I'm a fan of Techmoan on youtube since he reviews a lot of old analog tech I've never even heard of, but there's no way I'd ever go out of my way to own any of the ancient gear he features in his videos. Sure a lot of the old analog tech features high quality buttons and mechanisms that make satisfying clicks and ticks, but at the end of the day you just want to listen to your music, or watch your movies. Sure inserting cartridges or cassettes or similar devices might be fun the first 100 times, but eventually one realizes it's just cumbersome (especially if you have a large collection), which is why we bothered to develop simpler digital technologies in the first place.

At very deep level our world is not analog - all matter is separate particles.
And our perception not analog too, all receptors is separate neurons, and all information neurons can send is discrete time-coded impulses.
So this "analog world" is only generalized illusion, constantly assembled by brain from separate frames at ~40Hz.
Just wait for direct connection from digital computer to digital brain without this "real world" resampling.
:)

"all of which are decidedly (and beautifully) analog reception devices"

Err, no they aren't, touch, vision, hearing all rely on on/off nerve impulses, they are 100% digital. The only difference between human digital and computer digital is timing. Computers work with synchronised clock timing whereas humans don't.

A vinyl disc has, at most, 65 Db of dynamic range. Even at that, the softer passages will get lost in the surface hiss on the record itself, if not the tape hiss from an analog studio recorder.

With a potential 90+Db of S/N ratio and dynamic range available with the CD format, pissing your money away for analog vinyl records makes no sense whatsoever.

The "problem" with today's digital recordings is, you have nothing but a bunch of butt holes at the recording console. They completely avoid any advantage the CD's might give, preferring instead to compress everything into the top 40 DB of the "music", in an attempt to cut through the din of modern life.

All of the CDs I have from the '90's, sound much better than those from today, albeit no so ungodly loud. In the case of "hip-hop", he whose profanity is the loudest, gets the sale,

Another issue is decent loudspeakers. I don't care how much bass you think your headphones have, they're garbage. You haven't experienced music, if you've never experienced the aural assault of a pair of 15" JBL D-130-s. With an input sensitivity nearing 105 Db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter, they can effortlessly reproduce the full range of 24 bit FLAC, or any other source you might throw at them.

So, today's houses are smaller, the kiddies are used to ear buds, and those factors in and of themselves, should limit opinion s about what is truly good musical reproduction, to those over the age of 50....:p

So go, piss your money away for new vinyl discs. It does my heart good to know they're be ruined the first time you play them, and get worse from there on out. Good talk. :cool: (y)

Last edited:
I too am old enough to have had a fairly large collection of vinyl. That is actually the reason I went digital. Too many problems with vinyl that do not exist with digital.
"cutting back on digital time" yes, put that damn phone down, close your eyes and listen to some music! If closing your eyes to 'listen to the music' puts you in danger I suggest you reconsider how and when you listen, at least most of the time.

At very deep level our world is not analog - all matter is separate particles.
And our perception not analog too, all receptors is separate neurons, and all information neurons can send is discrete time-coded impulses.
So this "analog world" is only generalized illusion, constantly assembled by brain from separate frames at ~40Hz.
Just wait for direct connection from digital computer to digital brain without this "real world" resampling.
:)

Reality is akin to both analog and digital, but more accurately described in quantum.

@captaincranky
It does my heart good to know they're be ruined the first time you play them, and get worse from there on out.
All depends on the turntable. As you've noted, dumb earbuds just don't cut it either.

There's two major points where analog needs to be handled with care: the original input and the final output. These are the points where the transducers insert errors or loose outputs. A good table with a tracking weight of one gram will preserve input integrity and not carve the track into the 'grand canyon'. The table and pickup is not cheap.

At the other end, good speakers are also expensive. Those all-in-one just don't compare to a good tweeter-midrage-bass and woofer settup.

@Anton Skryaga the human mind is all analog; just look at any brain-wave test results. If our eyes were digital, we would not have color but all B&W see this

@captaincranky
It does my heart good to know they're be ruined the first time you play them, and get worse from there on out.
All depends on the turntable. As you've noted, dumb earbuds just don't cut it either.

There's two major points where analog needs to be handled with care: the original input and the final output. These are the points where the transducers insert errors or loose outputs. A good table with a tracking weight of one gram will preserve input integrity and not carve the track into the 'grand canyon'. The table and pickup is not cheap.

@Anton Skryaga the human mind is all analog; just look at any brain-wave test results. If our eyes were digital, we would not have color but all B&W
sorry, but I must disagree. There is no wear in digital, there is in vinyl. Play your record on a $100,000 turntable 1000 times and see how it works out (yes I know some of you are saying, but I'll never do that, but to show the folly sometimes you have to push it to the logical end to make the point clearer, plus I must have listened to Led Zeppelin III at least that many times)
I also recall a vinyl LP recall because a note on the recording was so low it made the needle jump out of the track. Vinyl is impossible to properly clean so once there those clicks and pops are with you forever. There are also other problems...
IMHO the turntable is obsolete, I know that is hard to accept for people who have spent a fortune (like up to $100,000 or even more) on a turntable and associated paraphernalia.
"The mind is analog" - I think in some kind of folk psychology way we know what a mind is, but in a scientific way we have zero idea. Zero, and at the level of the nerves, which in the end is how all our input comes, it is reach the action potential and fire or don't and do not fire. All or nothing.
I won't address the brainwave thing, this post is already way too long

There is no wear in digital, there is in vinyl.
That really depends upon the medium for which digital is stored. Optical or magnetic has the same potential for degradation, and with chips you have the potential for complete loss.
Backup. I can in minutes make a dozen copies of anything digital or upload it to another place/country. Try that with a vinyl record.

There is no wear in digital, there is in vinyl.
That really depends upon the medium for which digital is stored. Optical or magnetic has the same potential for degradation, and with chips you have the potential for complete loss.
Backup. I can in minutes make a dozen copies of anything digital or upload it to another place/country. Try that with a vinyl record.
but I'd be lying if I said I have never lost data, also I have had no problem with bought discs, but discs I have burned only several years ago are already turning a brownish on the label side (they should be silver). I don't know how long these will be good.

Just got a laserdisc player recently. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, as I never owned one before, I just simply find the tech interesting, and the ridiculous size of the discs and cool cover art charming.

I started my collection just after the format died and have been collecting ever since. I even have new hard to find titles that I haven't even opened yet. I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-99 player hooked up to an iScanDuo scalar to upconvert the image over HDMI. Looks amazing, and I don't think I'll ever quite collecting Laserdiscs. :)

In my google tab heading this article's title shows "the hidden value of anal"!! had a bit of a panic cause my kids are around and didn't want them to think I'm watching something I shouldn't be watching!!!!!

lol sorry just had to share that!

Back