TechSpot

The iBuyPower SBX is a $399 Steam machine

By Scorpus
Oct 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Back in 2013 we first heard about iBuyPower's low cost Steam Machine, which was orginally expected to launch for $499. Nearly 12 months later the company is finally ready to release it, complete with revised hardware and a lower price.

Read more

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

More like the iBuyPower SUX.

Rick likes this.
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

Underwhelming to say the least. But for $400 you do get an entry level gaming system, or SFF PC otherwise.

4. Don't get the point of steam machines, it's obvious they can't compete on price against consoles, I can probably build a PC with more value for about the same price, the platform has less games than either consoles or PCs, and I can just as easily hook up my PC via video card to my TV. They seem little more than glorified HTPCs at least at the moment.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

It's not really a steam machine if it's not running the steam os. Whatever happened to that?

6. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

It said that it was compatible with steam OS beta which I assume it ships with if Windows is an add-on cost.

7. penn919

penn919 TS Booster Posts: 178   +19

"For $399 you just get the SBX system, with no operating system installed and no controller provided."

8. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

Wow I really dropped the ball on that one.