The IRS says Microsoft owes $29 billion in back taxes, but Redmond disagrees

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says Microsoft owes the U.S. government nearly $29 billion in back taxes. The claim comes after a long-running IRS audit into Microsoft's finances from the years 2004-2013 and centers around a controversial practice called "transfer pricing" that is reportedly used by companies to minimize their tax liabilities.

Microsoft disputes the IRS' claims and says it followed all rules and paid all the taxes it ever owed, both in the U.S. and around the world. The company also claimed that it has been one of the top U.S. corporate income taxpayers over the years, having paid over $67 billion in taxes to the government since 2004. Microsoft added that it will appeal the IRS' decision, though the process could reportedly take "several years."

It is worth noting that Microsoft has changed its corporate structure and practices since the years covered by the audit, meaning the inconsistencies found by the IRS do not apply to the company's current practices. However, they are still very much relevant to the audit period, so it will be interesting to see if Microsoft will be able to get away without footing the massive tax bill as claimed by the IRS.

According to Microsoft, many large corporations use the same 'cost-sharing' arrangement, which allows them to share their profits with non-American subsidiaries and pay lower taxes in the U.S. The practice is entirely legal, with the IRS having long-established regulations that allow companies to use cost-sharing while reporting their earnings.

However, the practice faces strong pushback from many critics, who argue that companies should pay higher taxes in the countries they are based in, and should not be allowed to get away with reporting lower profits in nations with higher taxes, as well as higher profits in countries with lower taxes, to cynically reduce their tax liabilities.

The audit into Microsoft's financials started back in 2007, with the agency describing it as one of the largest in its history. The probe ended "recently," with the IRS apparently finding the company liable to pay $28.9 billion in back taxes, plus penalties and interest. Microsoft, however, says that the taxes it paid under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) are not reflected in the IRS' figures, so the unpaid tax amount could be lower by up to $10 billion.

Permalink to story.

Considering how optimistic government tax bodies usually are (and how wrong they usually get it), this is a nothingburger.

Big companies like MS have whole financial departments to ensure they don't legally pay a penny more than needed...

Maybe if they changed their name to Microbidensoft or Microhuntersoft they could get a free pass?

Shoot...my state sent me a letter saying they never received my state tax document. Not really paying attention to it, I sent the 2022 tax form. I got a call and they said no, they wanted the 2021. TWO years and they just figured out they never got it??? Government...

IRS better bring out the really fancy lawyers to take on MicroSludge .... those boys will spend ever nickle on legal councel and lobbying Congress to give them a pass .....

The less tax Apple , Google, MS , Meta pay the better we will all be off ........

The tax burden and obligations should be on the wage slaves ) middle to lower classes - again we will all be better off.........

If we do this well and consistently the trickle down will be a torrent

Below is my BC wallet - every $1 you send me - will be repaid 1000 fold in good fortune and prosperity

These companies sell it as- a strong MS is good for the ole US of A - like they are not mega multi-global and they go where they can squeeze the last dollar - The European Union ( absolute pinkos ) is tightening the laws
we will get there eventually

On the one hand I believe that MS should pay the taxes due.

On the other hand I believe that most of the taxes paid will be wasted by the numbskulls who call themselves our elected officials (ignoring, of course, that we are the numbskulls who elected them).

So, forget it and call it a wash.

Back