'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' will have $20 DLC Season Pass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo has revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will receive two sets of downloadable content over the course of 2017. To score them both, gamers will want to pick up the associated season pass.

When purchased, the $19.99 Expansion Pass, as Nintendo calls it, will immediately spawn three new treasure chests in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of the chests will contain a shirt sporting the Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure; the other two will contain “useful items.”

Nintendo says the first content pack will arrive this summer and include a new Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second pack, tentatively slated to arrive sometime during the holiday season, will add a new dungeon and a new original story.

The Expansion Pass will be offered for both the Switch and Wii U versions of the game. Unfortunately, it’s an all or nothing proposition as the content packs can’t be purchased individually, Nintendo confirmed.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild arrives worldwide on March 3, 2017. It’ll be a launch title for the Nintendo Switch system and the last game that Nintendo is making for the Wii U.

Permalink to story.

You have to pay for the hard mode? Anyone remember when game difficulty settings were free? :(

Soon you will have to buy the boxed game, then pay for a digital key. Then you will have to upload save data to their servers, and pay per save, plus a monthly fee to store the save data. Oh, and the digital key will also be monthly. Some future DLC will be a 1080P option, that is probably already there, just blocked.

DLC you have to pay for is like double taxation and should be illegal. DLC has ruined the gaming experience for me.
Well money is worth less and development costs have gone up. While I don't like paying for DLC, developers have to fund it somehow. As long as the DLC isn't necessary for the main story or online play(I'm looking at you Activision and EA) I don't really have a problem with it. Is happily pay to spend more time in a game world that I love. That said, there some games that I play once and lose interest in.

DLC you have to pay for is like double taxation and should be illegal. DLC has ruined the gaming experience for me.
Well money is worth less and development costs have gone up. While I don't like paying for DLC, developers have to fund it somehow. As long as the DLC isn't necessary for the main story or online play(I'm looking at you Activision and EA) I don't really have a problem with it. Is happily pay to spend more time in a game world that I love. That said, there some games that I play once and lose interest in.

Unfortunately many game devs already cut out pieces of the main story line and sell them as DLC. It appears that even Nintendo is doing this now. I would happily pay more for a better game but this

"Nintendo says the first content pack will arrive this summer and include a new Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second pack, tentatively slated to arrive sometime during the holiday season, will add a new dungeon and a new original story."

Hard mode is something that should be in the base game. A dungeon being added through DLC? That's pretty huge as well.

Announcing you are going to gouge customers for the one game they are likely buying your console for ins't a good idea. They are also charging AAA prices here yet I have my doubts that the switch can even provide a AAA experience even though it is more expensive than other consoles.

Unfortunately many game devs already cut out pieces of the main story line and sell them as DLC. It appears that even Nintendo is doing this now. I would happily pay more for a better game but this

"Nintendo says the first content pack will arrive this summer and include a new Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second pack, tentatively slated to arrive sometime during the holiday season, will add a new dungeon and a new original story."

Hard mode is something that should be in the base game. A dungeon being added through DLC? That's pretty huge as well.

Announcing you are going to gouge customers for the one game they are likely buying your console for ins't a good idea. They are also charging AAA prices here yet I have my doubts that the switch can even provide a AAA experience even though it is more expensive than other consoles.
$20 is hardly gouging considering that most devs charge $40-60 for a season pass. Ill give you that the hard mode should be I clouded in the base game, but you can't say that the other parts of the dlc are pieces of the story taken out of the base game without knowing what is in it

$20 is hardly gouging considering that most devs charge $40-60 for a season pass. Ill give you that the hard mode should be I clouded in the base game, but you can't say that the other parts of the dlc are pieces of the story taken out of the base game without knowing what is in it

"but you can't say that the other parts of the dlc are pieces of the story taken out of the base game without knowing what is in it"

That's not something I'd expect to even have to ask. When I purchase a Nintendo console I do it because it provides a different experience than Sony or Microsoft can provide. This, to me, just feels like they are giving away one of their advantages of creating simple straightforward games.

"but you can't say that the other parts of the dlc are pieces of the story taken out of the base game without knowing what is in it"

That's not something I'd expect to even have to ask. When I purchase a Nintendo console I do it because it provides a different experience than Sony or Microsoft can provide. This, to me, just feels like they are giving away one of their advantages of creating simple straightforward games.

Fingers cross on this one as I hope it is a case of new ideas that are not polished enough to go gold yet good enough to be released when balanced.

Fingers cross on this one as I hope it is a case of new ideas that are not polished enough to go gold yet good enough to be released when balanced.

Yes, that would be ideal.

If this is a Witcher 3 level expansion pass, it could be a good thing.

It's not going to be like that. You can read above that is more or less 1 dungeon extra at max and some small extra features.

Back