The Matrix returns to theaters later this month to mark its 20th anniversary

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The Matrix, arguably one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made, will be briefly returning to theaters later this month to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

Those of us who saw the first entry in the trilogy at cinemas might be shocked to learn it’s been 20 years since it arrived. Starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, and Carrie-Anne Moss, the Matrix was released on March 31, 1999—so the celebrations are slightly belated.

The movie will begin its one-week run on August 30th at AMC’s Dolby Cinemas across the US. For the first time, viewers will be able to experience The Matrix on the big screen with Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos audio.

While this is as much a promotion for Dolby’s technologies, you can expect plenty of long-time fans of the Matrix to hit the theaters once it arrives. The re-release is also an opportunity for those too young to have seen it at cinemas the first time around to watch it as intended. The Internet’s current, breathtaking love of all things Keanu may have influenced the decision, too.

“Bringing The Matrix to life in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos pays homage to the masterpiece that the Wachowskis created 20 years ago,” Doug Darrow, senior vice president of Dolby Laboratories’ Cinema Business Group, said in a statement. “Movie lovers will be able to see and experience unforgettable sequences like bullets flying in slow motion with the utmost detail – transforming one of the most iconic sci-fi films of this generation.”

Back in 2017, it was reported that Warner Bros. was in talks to reboot The Matrix with Michael B. Jordan named as a possible star, perhaps as a young Morpheus. We haven’t heard too much since then, though it seems the Wachowskis won’t be involved.

Advanced tickets for The Matrix: 20th Anniversary can be bought from the official AMC website.

Permalink to story.

I mean, the first Matrix was good.. but the rest? I guess it'll make money either way...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the second and third movies...
And this is just a re-release? Okay what the hell am I even commenting about?
I couldnt give a **** less... next to deleting this comment.

I mean, the first Matrix was good.. but the rest? I guess it'll make money either way...

Usually the first part is creative one wheras the others are commercial one.
this problem do exist in many trilogy, Series, etc ...

Quite true, unless its adapting a masterpiece such as LOTR. Even then creative license can wreck the whole thing.

I disagree. I often like like the sequels and prequels just as much as the entry.

one clear difference however is that the first movie is often made to be able to stand alone. When it is successful they then proceed to make a second and 3rd and maybe more. The second movie in particular will feel like the middle movie.

Some people just prefer entries more than sequels. But that doesn't make sequels worse. I can hardly think of any movie trilogy (or more) where I didn't like the other entries just as much. Sure at some point the quality may drop like Fast and Furious 3 or wherever.

I don't see any mention of the full trilogy being shown, only the first one. The first Matrix movie is where all the creativity is, the next 2 are just filler to make it a "trilogy". If this showing is successful, they should do Terminator 2 next.

Great stuff, I rewatched them recently and it is still great.
I wish its creators all the good in life and to make more awesome movies.

I wish its creators all the good in life and to make more awesome movies.

Considering the Wachowskis brothers are now sisters. And the studios wanted nothing do to with them when there was talks of a reboot in 2017. I think their movie making career's are done. Probably doesn't help they haven't made anything worth talking about since the matrix also.

Hopefully this time they won't intervene with the script made by a professional writer. Because last time they intervened, they said that: "Machines use humans as batteries".
Only imbeciles like Wachowskis would do that. The original author made a much better explanation, but Wachowski morons changed it for no good reason.

Hopefully this time they won't intervene with the script made by a professional writer. Because last time they intervened, they said that: "Machines use humans as batteries".
Only imbeciles like Wachowskis would do that. The original author made a much better explanation, but Wachowski morons changed it for no good reason.
It is nearly impossible to make movies as complex and amazing as books.
I have thought of many aspects that make books so much better than movies.
You gotta cut corners when converting a good book into a decent movie.
Human language has so many ways to paint a picture, but a picture at best
makes a shadow of the story writers try to tell.

Back