The most annoying software for a Technician

brucethetech

Pardon if this is in the wrong category but.....
To all the system administrators out there, what is the one program you HATE to see installed as you work on someones computer? I'll start things off with my top 3.

1. Google toolbar with Internet explorer 7 (this is my pet-peeve. the only thing it was good for was the popup blocker and to search google. both of which can be done without that stupid toolbar.)

2. Weather bug (is it THAT serious to know the temp outside. Go to weather.com. the exception to this is the builtin weather gadget of vista)

3. AOL (not the messenger, but the whole suite. the one thats stacked by the checkout counter of walmart and says "take one free")

because most Tech and Administrators do not no how to protect a system.

I don't care what is installed if i set it up

WOLF

because most Tech and Administrators do not no how to protect a system.

I don't care what is installed if i set it up

WOLF

When a CUSTOMER calls you to work on thier computer. Out of habit I always use the term Administrator. I'm talking about people's personal computers.

Sorry ;) it is just that after almost 3 years of research and finding some answers i find it hard to blame someone {Customer/User} for having a toolbar or update component,
I will try to put together some findings soon and sorry if i stated it in a bad way

Wolf

I've heard tell that Norton 2009 has been rewritten from the ground up with speed in mind. Apparently it has a very small resource footprint now.

Yes I've heard that too
I've also see dozens of HijackThis logs running the new Norton; totally infested with Virus and Malware. So user choice there !

Hm. An interesting point. I guess Symantec still hasn't got it right. Now they've got a fast, useless AV program. Instead of one that worked slightly, but ground the system to a halt.

^LOL.

The worst has to be Norton and next in line would be Adobe's Acrobat Reader. Foxit's PDF Reader is far better IMO.

I hadn't thought of Adobe Reader. I always wondered why a simple program like that needed to be 200 MB.

Adobe Reader is a very bloated piece of software, but, if you are setting a decent computer up (specs wise) for a user who just browses the internet, I'd definitely go with Adobe as Foxit seems a slight bit buggy and not as "simple" as Adobe in certain terms. I myself use Foxit, though.

I can never tell, from moment to moment, whether my most hated program is Norton, McAfee, or AOL... it depends on which customer's computer I am sitting in front of at the moment... But PCTools is a close fourth.

Definitely Norton, and then most likely McAffee. Imo it's stupid to pay for AV when you can get it for free.

Isn't the most annoying software the malware that you've been hired to clean out? Just because it wasn't intentionally installed doesn't mean it's not software ;)

The most annoying software for a Technician: Windows! :) jk The most annoying really is any IM software in which the user stays logged onto while I'm trying to troubleshoot problems.

Back