TechSpot

The move from XP to Windows 7?

By Nick Lee
Jul 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Which would be cheaper? Just waiting until Windows 7 hits the streets before buying a copy and move from Xp then, or Should I buy a vista Home premium 64bit. with a free upgrade coupon? Like does this coupon allow me to up grade to W7 for no costs?

just wondering, I think waiting to upgrade would be cheaper.... wouldn't it? I don't know the prices but $200 for W7 home is better than $100 Vista home , then $120 for upgrade.....

so a little help please.
    -Nick Lee
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

just wait... not worth buying vista now and then reformatting again when 7 launches in the fall...
  3. AudioVayne

AudioVayne Newcomer, in training Posts: 142

Personally I'd go to extreme lengths to avoid using Vista...
  4. JamesP

JamesP Newcomer, in training Posts: 38

Vista is pretty good now with SP2
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to install it...

XP is a qualifying product for the $50 upgrade from Best Buy, Amazon and a few other places. You're running out of or may even be out of time to take advantage of the offer though.
  6. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Go for the Vista O/S with upgrade. Windows 7 was released a little to early, and this way you can install Windows 7 whenever you're ready... If I recall, Windows 7 isn't 'backwards compatible' so you'll need to invest a lot in software.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.