The new iMac: thin, fast -- and assembled in the USA?

By Rick
Dec 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's latest 21.5-inch iMac made some good first impressions for reviewers who gazed upon its razor-thin design. In this iFixit teardown though, one item in particular caught the public's attention: the words "Assembled in USA" etched into the rear of...

Read more
  2. /me waits for 'Made' in USA.
    psycros likes this.
  3. Yeah and when it says "Made in the USA", the $1500 iMac will have a new $4000 price tag attached to it.
    avoidz and m4a4 like this.
  4. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 672   +202

Really no reason they couldn't be built here as well. Their already overpriced, its not like the Mac faithful will balk at an extra $300-400 (30% markup for domestic production is a ballpark figure I've seen a couple times). A lot of the board assembly and even some of the mechanical work could be done by robots, which would help control costs. If any computer should be 100% American-made, shouldn't it be Apple?
    avoidz and H3llion like this.
  5. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +22

with the Substantial Apple markup they could easily built them in the USA, it's just that they would have less profit
  6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 952   +98

Oh snap, so thin.
  7. Let me translate it: made in China, Taiwan, etc.. then assembled in USA. With this apple could give tag pricier than before :p
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Does ANYONE know the difference between "they're, there, and their" and "Two, to, and too" anymore! Not that I am picking on this commenter, but I have seen this about 20 times today already!
  9. sambob

sambob Newcomer, in training

I don't think they do,I guess we should be grateful most people have spellchecker turned on and that the comment doesn't look like a bad txt message.
  10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I guess that speaks volumes about the sorry state of education today.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.