TechSpot

The new iMac: thin, fast -- and assembled in the USA?

By Rick
Dec 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's latest 21.5-inch iMac made some good first impressions for reviewers who gazed upon its razor-thin design. In this iFixit teardown though, one item in particular caught the public's attention: the words "Assembled in USA" etched into the rear of...

Read more

2. /me waits for 'Made' in USA.

psycros likes this.
  3. Yeah and when it says "Made in the USA", the $1500 iMac will have a new $4000 price tag attached to it.

avoidz and m4a4 like this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,285   +653

Really no reason they couldn't be built here as well. Their already overpriced, its not like the Mac faithful will balk at an extra $300-400 (30% markup for domestic production is a ballpark figure I've seen a couple times). A lot of the board assembly and even some of the mechanical work could be done by robots, which would help control costs. If any computer should be 100% American-made, shouldn't it be Apple?

avoidz and H3llion like this.
  5. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

with the Substantial Apple markup they could easily built them in the USA, it's just that they would have less profit

6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,245   +219

Oh snap, so thin.

7. Let me translate it: made in China, Taiwan, etc.. then assembled in USA. With this apple could give tag pricier than before :p

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Does ANYONE know the difference between "they're, there, and their" and "Two, to, and too" anymore! Not that I am picking on this commenter, but I have seen this about 20 times today already!

9. sambob

sambob TS Rookie

I don't think they do,I guess we should be grateful most people have spellchecker turned on and that the comment doesn't look like a bad txt message.

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I guess that speaks volumes about the sorry state of education today.