The next Mantle API game is Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

By Scorpus
Apr 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has scored another win for their Mantle API, with upcoming title Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth to support it alongside DirectX 11. Previous Civilization titles, such as Civilization V, were reasonably CPU intensive, so the reduced CPU overhead and lower-level...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Now that's a game that could really utilize the low level support.
    Jad Chaar and TheLastPanda like this.
  3. Revolution 11

Revolution 11 TS Enthusiast Posts: 40

It's good that they are using the tools available to make the game faster. Too few devs do that anyway. But what I am wondering is why Civ 5 was so goddamn slow in the first place.

What on earth is happening underneath the engine and UI that requires that much CPU power. The previous Civs did not need a super-powerful CPU and it is not like Civ 5 has ground-breaking AI.
  4. Civ 5 is creating a matrix for all those citizens you are toying with, cruel bastard.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

Oh well this doesn't affect me at all, I don't use an AMD card and this is not the type of game I would be interested in but I hope it benefits AMD users and fans of these types of games.
  6. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +164

I always thought Civilization was really boring.
  7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,804   +483

I really like this type of games. hopefully they will release another good game.
  8. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,804   +483

ci 5 uses a new engine that was "finished" a year and a half into the production of the game. I'm sure they still have tons of optimization they could have done.
    here is a link that describes what they did together with intel (it's really interesting) :
    this one is dev video about the game engine:

the video is really cool. you'll see immediately where mantle will shine.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh I personally think Civ 5 is kind of boring when compared to Civ 3 and 4, I don't know what about it makes it more boring though. That said, I am really excited for this since the series really needs a fresh take.