The Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti could launch on January 5

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Following rumors earlier this week that Nvidia would be rebranding its "unlaunched" RTX 4080 12GB as the RTX 4070 Ti and release it in January, another leaker has backed up this claim while narrowing the launch date down to January 5.

The latest news on Nvidia's renaming of the RTX 4080 12GB comes from reliable leaker MEGAsizeGPU. They backed up Kopite7kimi's claims from earlier this week that Nvidia will be going with the RTX 4070 Ti name, which is something we expected, and launching in January.

MEGAsizeGPU believes the next Lovelace entry will arrive on January 5. Other sources claim that Nvidia will unveil the RTX 4070 Ti on January 3, lift the review embargo on January 4, and launch a day later. We've long heard that the new card will land during CES 2023. The event officially starts on January 5, so the rumored dates line up.

MEGAsizeGPU has also included a screenshot allegedly showing the RTX 4070 Ti's box design template. It only lists features we already know about, such as DLSS 3.0, rather than any specs, but we're expecting those to be unchanged from the RTX 4080 12GB: a full-fat AD104 GPU, 12GB of GDDR6X@ 21 Gbps, 192-bit memory bus, and bandwidth up to 504 GB/s.

Based on charts Nvidia released before it unlaunched the RTX 4080 12GB, the card is about 30% slower than the 16GB version that arrives on November 16. Assuming the specs are unchanged, the RTX 4070 Ti should offer the same performance.

How much Nvidia intends to charge for the RTX 4070 Ti remains unclear. The RTX 4080 12GB was going to have an $899 MSRP, which is what made people so angry in the first place, and the RTX 3070 Ti launched at $599, so we could see a price between those figures.

Nvidia will also be aware that AMD recently unveiled the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and RX 7900 XT, coming in at $999 and $899, respectively. Team green knows it will have to price the RTX 4070 Ti competitively if it wants to win back former fans who have been disappointed by the Lovelace launch so far.

Permalink to story.

AMD did a favor to Nvidia with their lower pricing. Now Nvidia can lower the price of this card and say that it's a reaction to the market and gain goodwill from some people, instead of having to admit that it was overpriced at $899 and that they were plain greedy.

I wonder if EVGA saw all this BS coming down the line from Nvidia and they got out when the getting was good....

I also wonder if AiBs had to rebrand shrouds and backplates from 4080 12GB to 4070Ti and if they made Nvidia refund them to cover the cost of their F up?
Shrouds and backplates are one thing. PCBs, on the other hand, are likely to be harder to rebrand. Many times I've see the card model or mobo model imprinted on the PCB and that's far harder to remove or replace. There's some guy in China making a living replacing 8s with 7s right now. LOL

Shrouds and backplates are one thing. PCBs, on the other hand, are likely to be harder to rebrand. Many times I've see the card model or mobo model imprinted on the PCB and that's far harder to remove or replace. There's some guy in China making a living replacing 8s with 7s right now. LOL

They can easily glue a mini backplate or plastic on it (v1.0) and that's it. Then the v1.1 is already well printed

They can easily glue a mini backplate or plastic on it (v1.0) and that's it. Then the v1.1 is already well printed
Maybe, it would depend on where the imprint is on the PCB and whether any components interfere with attaching a plate, not to mention whether heat would cause the plate to fall off. And, the plate can't be too thick or it could interfere with contact between thermal pads and other components. Plus, they have to disassemble any existing cards and add the plate. None of this would be cheap.

Possibly priced between $600 and $900. What's that, $750?
They will wait for AMD's and market's moves and then they decide. I won't buy any Nvidia card soon.
Maybe, it would depend on where the imprint is on the PCB and whether any components interfere with attaching a plate, not to mention whether heat would cause the plate to fall off. And, the plate can't be too thick or it could interfere with contact between thermal pads and other components. Plus, they have to disassemble any existing cards and add the plate. None of this would be cheap.
The Chinese on most of these factories are used to work overtime, sadly. There are tones of inexpensive, easy solutions.

Possibly priced between $600 and $900. What's that, $750?
Down $150 from the original cost of the 4080 12GB?

That'll just go to show people how much Nvidia is overpricing these cards if they're willing to take such a hit. I'd honestly be surprised if they went below $799.

If AMD's cards come out and put the 4080 16GB and the now 4070Ti to shame, Nvidia may need to really drop pants, bend over and cut prices on them a lot. I'm hoping it happens that way. I can always hope.

If AMD's cards come out and put the 4080 16GB and the now 4070Ti to shame, Nvidia may need to really drop pants, bend over and cut prices on them a lot. I'm hoping it happens that way. I can always hope.

Should I assume that if nvidia does drop the price, you will buy nvidia?

Better yet, lets say that they really lower the price to the same or less than AMD yet being slower, still will give them your money?

Personally, I will not given them a penny, since they have shown over and over how much they really care about gamers.

Better yet, lets say that they really lower the price to the same or less than AMD yet being slower, still will give them your money?

Personally, I will not given them a penny, since they have shown over and over how much they really care about gamer
I'd love to get an AMD card but my monitor is G sync and I'm locked in. Buying a new monitor doesn't make it cheaper for me. I'll wait till new year though hopefully with a little luck they will drop the price for their overpriced cards.

Down $150 from the original cost of the 4080 12GB?

That'll just go to show people how much Nvidia is overpricing these cards if they're willing to take such a hit. I'd honestly be surprised if they went below $799.

I don't think AMD will put Nvidia "to shame". I think the 7900XTX will come in similar to the 4080. At $200 less that's a win for AMD. The 7900XT may be sightly better than the 4070Ti or may be similar. If Nvidia prices that card at less than $800 then I think they win over the 7900XT.

The real problem with the 4070Ti is that they now have added expense due to unlaunching the 4080 12G and relaunching it as 4070Ti (assumed to be the same card). If that's the case, I don't know how they get the price low enough to matter.

And while AMD may have better prices $900 and $1000 are still a lot to pay for a GPU. I'm not sure anyone wins at those prices.

It’s down to the monitor. If they’re listed as G-SYNC Compatible in Nvidia’s listed, then should support VESA’s Adaptive Sync, which AMD cards support.

Check Nvidia’s list here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
Ehh so now I'm confused. Apparently, it's down to a firmware update and this was the Dell support response to someone asking about my specific monitor.

"
From the start, the AW3418DW was marketed and sold as an Nvidia G-Sync monitor. We are not going to create a firmware for the Nvidia G-Sync scaler IC board making it an Nvidia G-Sync monitor with AMD FreeSync compatibility. This would take away from our potential sale of our dedicated Alienware AMD FreeSync/Nvidia G-Sync compatible monitors.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session"

So I guess this is my last DELL monitor ever.

Ehh so now I'm confused. Apparently, it's down to a firmware update and this was the Dell support response to someone asking about my specific monitor.

"
From the start, the AW3418DW was marketed and sold as an Nvidia G-Sync monitor. We are not going to create a firmware for the Nvidia G-Sync scaler IC board making it an Nvidia G-Sync monitor with AMD FreeSync compatibility. This would take away from our potential sale of our dedicated Alienware AMD FreeSync/Nvidia G-Sync compatible monitors.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session"

This is a common problem with lots of older G-SYNC monitors; the vendors would prefer to sell you a new monitor, rather than go through the hassle of updating the firmware. It’s not just a Dell thing, unfortunately.

"

Ouch. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

[...]
Personally, I will not given them a penny, since they have shown over and over how much they really care about gamers.
+1000

I'll give money to the ones that try to bring something better and cheaper, the same story as Ryzen vs Intel models. If the "bullies" with just lowering the price shadow the other ones, then they'll have the monopoly.

Of course nvidia also deserves credit for making standard:
- they started VRR with G-sync
- they started with DLSS
- they made professional drivers with support for most 3D apps / CUDA support (most don't support AMD neither Intel gpus)
- they usually support a GPU for very long / long enough (and other products as the nvidia shield tv)
- they have the best drivers
- they have streaming optimizations which are almost non-existent on AMD or Intel

So, on one hand I give kudos for Nvidia, on the other hand they are escalating on the price increase just "because".

Back