The Pirate Bay's registrar, Binero confirms site is under second investigation

Leeky

According to the Pirate Bay’s Swedish domain registrar, Binero, the world famous torrent site is being investigated by the Swedish authorities after they received requests to release the personal details of the person who registered the site’s new .se domain name.

"We can confirm that an investigation is underway against The Pirate Bay," Binero's marketing manager, Erik Arnberg, said when speaking to TorrentFreak. "We received a letter with questions." The company has confirmed however, that they refused to comply with the request and will not do so until a warrant is issued.

Despite this news, a recent blog post by the team at TPB said they had been aware of this new investigation as early as 2010: "Information has been leaked to us every now and then by multiple sources, almost on a regular basis. It's an interesting read. We can certainly understand why WikiLeaks wished to be hosted in Sweden, since so much data leaks there."

They went on to say that the information was mainly leaked by whistleblowers that were in disagreement of the investigation by law enforcement authorities. "Something that the governments should have in mind - even your own people do not agree."

The first investigation, started back in 2006, concluded last month after their final appeal was rejected. The four defendants found guilty of copyright violations in the original high-profile trial face jail time and orders to pay around $6.8 million in damages. The Pirate Bay website has pretty much remained online since the convictions, but the site did change to the new .se domain around the same time of the appeal decision.

Since those days, many changes have been made to the way the service is now hosted, with the current operators of TPB stating that there is no one single location of the servers.

"TPB is set up in a very special way to make sure that it will stay up," they said. "This means that no one really knows exactly where the servers are, but we've made sure to stay out of the United States of Arrogance and some other countries where the governments do not like free speech."

Swedish district attorney Fredrik Ingblad confirmed that the government is "interested in torrent sites," but would not devulge further details. It is not completely clear why TPB is being investigated a second time, but the operators of the site believe the recent purchase of the .se domain has heightened their interest.

Permalink to story.

LMAO now Sweden is getting involved. Im sure we will see more posts about how America is behind it all. Some giant corp/govt super secret copywrite group bent on world domination lol.

Im surprised we havent launched a missile or something at their servers yet

Shutdown and reboot the internet and lets all start from the beginning. There wasn't anyone downloading anything except from BBB, then dial-up then adsl and then cable. Now here we're all doing it again. But now governments are going after those who run these sites at the source. They let it go on this long and now trying to kill them off.

Pirate Bay!! People love your for your fight against greed and the imbalance of wealth. Keep up the great and brave work!

You are profoundly admired! Our love goes out to you all!

tipstir said:
Shutdown and reboot the internet and lets all start from the beginning. There wasn't anyone downloading anything except from BBB, then dial-up then adsl and then cable. Now here we're all doing it again. But now governments are going after those who run these sites at the source. They let it go on this long and now trying to kill them off.

Worst proposal I heard in a while.

artix said:
tipstir said:

Edit:

Here is why. The internet has HUGE collection of experiences and knowledge which helps the society. Why would you run a suicide. This would be pointless anyway, the P2P websites would emerge regardless, they would find loopholes, trust me on that. Whether the community would all join forces and launch their own satellite or other ways to avoid being shut down by the law.

artix said:
tipstir said:

I am referring to the government plan

they dont have killers, assassins, thiefs, burglars to pursue ? i think they have too much time on theyr hands not doing people work and working for corporations.

"United States of Arrogance" <== one of the best descriptions I've read in many years :D

There is a reason for continuous talk about monitoring internet (+social mediums), no matter what is the perception, ruling elites in almost every country are fearful of 'free speech/will of the people' for obvious reasons, hence, even if there was no piracy we will still be under the watchful gaze of nanny state(s) .........

Guest said:
...they dont have killers, assassins, thiefs, burglars to pursue ? i think they have too much time on theyr hands not doing people work and working for corporations.
No, thieves, burglars and assassins are the people they hire. Just ask Obama, who is open about having had people killed. And he's supposedly a constitutional lawyer. (I wonder who bought him his Ivy League degrees.)

Spreading TPB servers around undisclosed locations - decentralizing the data - is brilliant. The best way to frustrate any over-concentration of power or wealth seems to be to decentralize whatever it is so the power-and-money graspers become irrelevant. That's one thing the anonymizing Tor network does very well with data streams - keeps them decentralized and hard to block. Nothing central to attack. It's what makes Occupy effective - no central ringleaders to assassinate or imprison.

I bet TPB has a dozen or more alternative domain names tied up by shell companies or sympathizers in countries that, unlike the U.S., actually protect the freedom of their people. If the corporations that own the U.S. politicians attack one domain, they could simply activate another. If nothing else, it'd keep the briefcase-toting lawfare goons hopping from place to place. If TPB lost a domain, it'd be a nuisance, no more.

At my age it's embarrassing but I seem to have become a TPB fanboy. :)

Back