The right video card for my system?

nintai83

I have decided on the memory that is right for my PC and now I am hoping to select a video card. If anyone has some suggestions I would be most grateful.

My computer is an emachines W3653 just over 1 yo. I am running XP but will be on Vista in a few days. My computer has 2 PCI and 1 PCI-e slot. I only have 1GB of RAM but I am looking to move up to my systems maximum of 2GB soon. My motherboards is a ECS 945G-M3.

I found a card that is a descent value. Will this card work on my PC?
I don't have 5 post so I cant post links... add the www to the beginning.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

When I look up your PC on emachine's site it shows a dual core Celeron CPU running at 1.6Ghz. Is that the processor you have?

Can you find out the specs of the power supply?

The video card you linked will physically fit in the motherboard but requires at least a 400W PSU and may be more powerful than you need depending on what CPU you have.

I just installed my old power supply which is just enough to cover that card, 400 watt. Yes, that is my processor.

By the way... thank you so much for your help.

I think I may go for that card in case I decide to upgrade my processor later. What do you think?

Your slow Celeron CPU will most likely hinder game play and prevent even a card like the 4670 from reaching its capacity. I am not saying that you should not upgrade the card - it most cases it is the best place to start to improve game play, especially with integrated video. But you should try to upgrade the CPU as soon as possible.

Thanks for the tip, I will take it under advisement. If I were to update my processor what would be a good balance of price and performance with consideration to my system after the new hardware "the 2gb ram and the radeon 5670" is installed?

I do intend to update my processor but I was leaving that for last. I was going to update in this order: memory, video card, then lastly my processor. I already purchased memory and a video card thanks to all of the helpful suggestions I received here. Money is a little tight for Christmas though... I may have to put the processor on hold until January.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

The 4670 is a better card or you mean that the card I got was redundant? klepto12 told me that too. After reading the reviews I bought it on a whim... even if I did waste my money. :p

I assume "that card" was the HD 5670. The 5670 is the newer card with better video features and play. The older 4670 plays most games a little faster and costs less. Which is the better card depends on your personal use and preferences.

Do you need the card for gaming? If so, at what resolution? If we don't have this information we can't give you the best option for your money :p

IMO the 4670 isn't really a gaming card, you would need at least a 5770 to enter that range decently.

You might also consider the HD 5570 - its gaming performance is similar to 4670 - each is ahead in some games - maybe the 4670 is a little ahead:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...tml?prod[4539]=on&prod[4611]=on&prod[4587]=on

But the HD5570 is the newer technology with DirectX 11. With the XFX card linked below you get a display port as well as HDMI and DVI and a lifetime warranty for $65 AR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150474&cm_re=hd_5570-_-14-150-474-_-Product

Although for $70 AR you could move up to its HD 5670 brother:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HD+5670

Back