The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS)

Hi,

CPU: Intel Core2 QUAD 9300
Motherboard: AsRock x48 TurboTwins
Ram: DDR2 2x 2GB, 800 GHz, brand Hynix
GPU: ATI HD 5770
PSU: Corsair 650 W
Custom build

I installed Civilization 5 (and directX 9 as well because I was asked to during the installation). After few minutes of being in the game a blue screen popped up (I do not know what message was on there). I restarted the computer and system recommended to run the fix mode. I launched it and after a while I was advised to bring the settings back to the restore point. I acknowledged this but then all I saw was a black screen. Since then, after each restart the screen goes black. If I manage to go to BIOS after 5-10 seconds the screen goes black. I cannot even reinstall Windows.

Those 5-10 seconds in BIOS are enough to check the temperatures on CPU and MB: they are around 30 degrees Celsius so overheating is not the problem. I connected the monitor with my laptop and it works, so monitor is fine. There are no loose connections. There is no dust and debris - this system is 2 months old.

Problem might be in the graphics card. Several weeks ago the screen used to go grey after playing Fallout 3 for 10-15 minutes. I disabled the audio on the card and that solved the problem. However, Windows still indicated that there is something wrong with the GPU; on the other hand, drivers were up-to-date.

Can anyone help please? Or let me know what you think might be wrong.

Thanks.

Since you are having a graphics issue in both the BIOS startup screen and while Windows is open, it does sound like a graphics card problem and not a driver problem. Do you have another graphics card to substitute for test purposes?

Back