TechSpot

The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS)

By MichalT
Dec 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

CPU: Intel Core2 QUAD 9300
    Motherboard: AsRock x48 TurboTwins
    Ram: DDR2 2x 2GB, 800 GHz, brand Hynix
    GPU: ATI HD 5770
    PSU: Corsair 650 W
    Custom build

I installed Civilization 5 (and directX 9 as well because I was asked to during the installation). After few minutes of being in the game a blue screen popped up (I do not know what message was on there). I restarted the computer and system recommended to run the fix mode. I launched it and after a while I was advised to bring the settings back to the restore point. I acknowledged this but then all I saw was a black screen. Since then, after each restart the screen goes black. If I manage to go to BIOS after 5-10 seconds the screen goes black. I cannot even reinstall Windows.

Those 5-10 seconds in BIOS are enough to check the temperatures on CPU and MB: they are around 30 degrees Celsius so overheating is not the problem. I connected the monitor with my laptop and it works, so monitor is fine. There are no loose connections. There is no dust and debris - this system is 2 months old.

Problem might be in the graphics card. Several weeks ago the screen used to go grey after playing Fallout 3 for 10-15 minutes. I disabled the audio on the card and that solved the problem. However, Windows still indicated that there is something wrong with the GPU; on the other hand, drivers were up-to-date.

Can anyone help please? Or let me know what you think might be wrong.

Thanks.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,428   +217

Since you are having a graphics issue in both the BIOS startup screen and while Windows is open, it does sound like a graphics card problem and not a driver problem. Do you have another graphics card to substitute for test purposes?
  3. MichalT

MichalT TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nope, not yet. I am going to buy one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.