The Steam Winter sale is now live, check out these top deals

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Do you look at your long list of unfinished or unplayed Steam games with a mixture of sadness and guilt? Then here's some news you could probably do without: the Steam Winter sale has arrived, bringing with it an absolute slew of discounted titles to add to your collection. Just to make things better/worse, we've picked a few highlights to get you started.

Valve's annual Winter Steam sale runs until January 5 at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET, which means those who receive Steam gift cards/money as Christmas presents will have a couple of weeks to take advantage of the reduced prices.

In addition to the sale, Steam users can also vote in the Steam Awards up until January 3 at 9 am PT / 12 pm ET. The full list of categories and nominations can be found at the bottom of the page.

As for the games themselves. One of the biggest draws is Elden Ring. Despite all the accolades that FromSoftware's title has received this year, those who struggle with Soulslike titles are still wary of paying full price for the game. But, for the first time since release, Elden Ring is discounted, down by 30% down to $42 on Steam, which should make its purchase slightly less of a risk for those who don't or can't git gud.

The excellent God of War is another highlight, down by 40% to $29.99. And if you've never had the chance to try Remnant: From the Ashes, it's down to just $15.99.

Elsewhere, two of the greatest cRPGs in recent years, Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition & Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, are available in a bundle pack for $22. PC Gamer's greatest game of all time, Disco Elysium - The Final Cut, is just $10. Metro Exodus is $7.50, and Hades is $12.50.

The criminally underrated Guardians of The Galaxy is down to $21, Cyberpunk 2077 is $30, and if you're looking for something to do for the next 100+ hours, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is $19.80.

Days Gone, which is better than you might have heard, is down to $16.49. Death Stranding: Director's Cut is $24, Dying Light 2 is $30, Resident Evil Village is $20, and Horizon Zero Dawn - Complete Edition is $16.49.

Those are just some of the highlights, so make sure to check out the full Steam sale for everything on offer.

The Steam Awards categories and nominees.

Game of the Year

• Dying Light 2: Stay Human
  • Elden Ring
  • Stray
  • God of War
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022)

VR Game of the Year

• Bonelab
  • Hitman 3
  • Green Hell VR
  • Among Us VR
  • Inside the Backrooms

Labor of Love

• Dota 2
  • Project Zomboid
  • No Man's Sky
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Better With Friends

• Raft
  • Ready or Not
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Multiversus
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022)

Outstanding Visual Style

• Scorn
  • Bendy and the Dark Revival
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Most Innovative Gameplay

• Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord
  • Teardown
  • Stray
  • Neon White
  • Dome Keeper

Best Game You Suck At

• GTFO
  • Victoria 3
  • Total War: Warhammer 3
  • Elden Ring
  • FIFA 23

Best Soundtrack

• Metal Hellsinger
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix+

Outstanding Story-Rich Game

• A Plague Tale: Requiem
  • God of War
  • Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
  • The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe
  • Spider-Man Remastered

Sit Back and Relax

• Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  • Power Wash Simulator
  • Disney Dreamlight Valley
  • Dorf Romantik
  • Slime Rancher 2

Best Game on the Go

• Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Brotato
  • Marvel Snap

Permalink to story.

I just got another PS5, and I'm curious why the PS Store doesn't get more coverage?
They have some killer Holiday deals going right now.
It certainly helps make up for PS plus, which is a piss poor (Alternative?) to Game pass.
And, umm ........ my new PS plus subscription is good for a year. :mad:

Anyway, I did just check out the Steam sale and I think it is the best one in years.
There are a ton of games that, SURPRISE, people actually want to play.
I was starting to think that concept was lost on them.

Last edited:
Anyway, I did just check out the Steam sale and I think it is the best one in years.
There are a ton of games that, SURPRISE, people actually want to play.
I was starting to think that concept was lost on them.
I mean, it's not up to Steam to set sales prices, it's up to the publishers (with Steam only giving them a heads up about the intended sale period)...

And a lot of the AAA publishers have been stingy in recent years (trying to pass a sale on a still full price game as a deal).

Last edited:
I do believe that Cyberpunk, Guardians of the Galaxy, AC: Valhalla and maybe God of War will join my library. Metro: Exodus looks pretty good too for only $7.50.

I should also check what's free this week on Epic. Hopefully it works better than Star Wars: Squadrons because that game is an absolute mess! I'm glad I didn't pay for it! :laughing:

I was looking at "Days Gone" a few days ago for $15.xx on Steam and I figured I'd wait to see if it was part of the Winter Sale. Turns out it is part of the Winter Sale, but for $16.xx. Good one.

I was looking at "Days Gone" a few days ago for $15.xx on Steam and I figured I'd wait to see if it was part of the Winter Sale. Turns out it is part of the Winter Sale, but for $16.xx. Good one.
Damn, that sucks. Well, it just goes to show that you can't trust everything that a corporation says. At least it's only $1 more. :laughing:

I should also check what's free this week on Epic. Hopefully it works better than Star Wars: Squadrons because that game is an absolute mess! I'm glad I didn't pay for it! :laughing:
Free daily (for Christmas) you mean?

And yeah. How do you get M+K so wrong on a flight sim game...

Free daily (for Christmas) you mean?
Nah, it was about a month ago that I got it.
And yeah. How do you get M+K so wrong on a flight sim game...
I don't know how they managed to screw it up either but I can tell you exactly what made me say "Screw this!". For one thing, I can't get my gamepad to work with it. For another, I chose the Rebel side and it stuck me on the Imperial side anyway. So, it ignores your preferences and refuses to use a gamepad. The gamepad thing really strikes me as weird because the game looks like a badly-done console port and consoles only use gamepads.

At that point, I shut it down and went back to playing Gotham Knights.

Nah, it was about a month ago that I got it.

I don't know how they managed to screw it up either but I can tell you exactly what made me say "Screw this!". For one thing, I can't get my gamepad to work with it. For another, I chose the Rebel side and it stuck me on the Imperial side anyway. So, it ignores your preferences and refuses to use a gamepad. The gamepad thing really strikes me as weird because the game looks like a badly-done console port and consoles only use gamepads.

At that point, I shut it down and went back to playing Gotham Knights.
That's when Squadrons was free, yes. I'm saying they're doing daily free games for Christmas right now...

I haven't tried getting my xbox controller and playing since alt+F4-ing the first time. But I did play the beta on PC many years ago and I think I used my xbox controller there too (because of the stupid M+K stuff). I just don't get why they didn't even try to make it playable with mouse since way back then.

Back