The UK gets the Samsung Galaxy S II early, for £499

Emil

We already know that the Samsung Galaxy S II (model: GT-I9100) will arrive in the UK on May 1, 2011 across all major networks and retailers. If you want to get it as early as April 27 though, you'll need to go to Phones 4u, which has somehow managed to become the first mobile retailer to offer the highly anticipated device.

Phones 4u is offering the Samsung Galaxy S II contract free from £35 a month ($57.93) on a choice of networks or on pay as you go for £499 ($825.95). Customers that pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S II will get a free 8GB memory card, as well as access to a hands-on review of the smartphone by visiting the Phones 4u website. I'm a little surprised that Samsung has made such a deal but Phones 4u is likely not complaining.

"With its super-slim good looks and the latest Android 2.3 operating system, the Samsung Galaxy S II is the next step in the evolution of mobile," Russell Braterman, Marketing Director at Phones 4u, said in a statement. "We're really proud to be the first retailer to offer the Samsung Galaxy S II to our customers. The original Samsung Galaxy S was hugely popular when it launched last year, and we're confident the Galaxy S II will be just as successful as its predecessor."

The Galaxy S II will run Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) and feature a dual-core 1.2GHz processor. It will be the first handset to offer Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus screen technology (4.27-inch display, 800x480 resolution), and is the company's thinnest phone at 8.49mm, with a weight of just 116g. The device also features an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It also features the usual BlueTooth 3.0+HS and HSPA+ connectivity.

The new Live Panel allows you to aggregate web, social networking, and app content to a single customizable home screen. You'll be able to switch between three adjacent home screens by simply pressing and holding on the screen. The device will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully these dont have problems with their speakers going out.. common problem for the last version. Personally, my vibration motor quit working... very displeasing considering I always prefer to have my phone on silent.... but I got to wait till next year to wait for the contract renewal... blah

Smartphones are very expensive. I will not buy one until it becomes around $200 or so.

Back