TechSpot

The Ultimate Dell Dimension 2400 upgrade

By NegroLuvKFC
Dec 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I currently own a Dell Dimension 2400 with 1.25 Gigs of Ram, a Celron 2.2 socket socket 478. I also have a GeForce4 MX 4000 128 MB, S-Video/TV out and a regular monitor out. There is a sixty gig hard drive. I have purchased a P4 2.8 I have yet to install. I have been looking for the best PCI video card for the money. The best one I have found is the eVGA GeForce 6200; the problem is my case is 50 watts shy of the 300 mark.

I found some other 256 MB one that was OK. I need TV out as it currently goes out analog to a 27 inch TV. I am getting a new one with S video. I also plan on getting two gigs of ram.

I am hoping for some suggestions on how I can best spend a hundred dollars to upgrade this computer. The processor cost $6, a new video card I am willing to spend about fifty, and another GIG of RAM is about $20. What would be the obvious motherboard upgrade? I really am content to push the original motherboard. It is an OG1548. I am going to throw in a $20 DVD burner and an old hard drive I have. The lowest setting of youtube staggers, though Netflix streams fine. I want, at most, play Bioshock or Half Life II. I understand DIablo II is pretty much out of the question. Starcraft II would be a dream, because I have a logon. I am also curious if my motherboard would allow the P4 to be overclocked, and if not, what third party program would allow for suck tweaking? I read one guys post how he overclocked a 2.8 to 3.5. I'd just like to know what is realistic performance wise with my specs and budget. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.