TechSpot

The ultrabooks are coming, Intel pushes forward with $300 million fund

By Julio Franco
Aug 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel is getting more serious on their intent to drive sales of "Ultrabooks" in the upcoming holiday season and beyond. We had reported earlier on rumors that the chip giant…

Read the whole story

2. lalaman

lalaman TS Rookie Posts: 26

i am totally craving for one of these ultrabooks right now =\

3. At least Intel is putting money where it's mouth is.
    Assuming price is right, I can see this being a winner.

4. i ' m waiting for that ultrabooks for a long time :D:D i m really excited to have one..

5. w3b0n

w3b0n TS Rookie Posts: 38

ultra thin, silky designs, high definition, long battery lifetime, less than 1000 dollars.

this is a YES!

6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 374   +43

Only if they put in quadcore i7's. I have yet to see an ultrathin with a quadcore or even 2.0Ghz+ dual core.

7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

My next laptop is probably going to be a Ultrabook. I am NOT going bigger than 13.3" (never have) and I won't make the mistake of buying something as heavy as the White Plastic Body Macbook. I guess I'm going for mobility, seeing it's a laptop and all. If I was going to have something like a 15" for more power, I'd rather just get a desktop. Just my feelings.

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

The two don't really go hand in hand with ultraslim and power efficiency, e.g. long battery life.

A 2GHz+ i7 quad is going to eat power up, and make it useless for its purpose in my opinion.

9. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 374   +43

What I'm saying is that there needs to be more quadcore laptops or at least 3Ghz+ dualcores (baseclock, not w/ turbo boost). I honestly would just like a thinner (.5 inch when closed) 17" laptop w/ ~2.4Ghz up to ~3.5Ghz i7 and 8gb of ram, ddr5 graphics card w/ ~60gb memory bandwidth, 1080p screen, and 4-6 hours battery life. That would be a perfect laptop for me. I would take the exact same specs in a 15.6" laptop as well. There is an overwhelming number of budget laptops, netbooks, and tablets, yet little to no professional grade or high end consumer laptops. Of course there are gaming laptops, but those are not meant for businesses or power users, strictly people who play games. I would be happy if they could make a "gaming" laptop with a normal looking design. Just sleek metal/aluminum and professional looking design. Just imagine if a 70 year old would look funny sitting in front of one, if they wouldn't it would probably be good for me. If they would, it would look to much like a typical gaming laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.