The Weirdest Spyware EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst scanning my vista home premium for malware using norton 360 v.3 suddenly a pop-up appeared telling me that norton 360 had encountered an internal error of code: 0X000003fb and of ID: 3038, 105. So i went on to symantec.support and followed the solutions provided.... No change... So i looked at my security history and quite astonishingly found that at the EXACT same time as the internal error had struck a spyware called spyware.pcprowler had also been caught. I went to see which files were affected and not surprisingly many files and registry entries had been contaminated. But the weird thing is that when i looked on the threat database for it on symantec it said that pcprowler does not affect vista pc's. ??!!..... interesting..... So anyway i let Norton get rid of it and restarted my computer only to find that the next time AND EVERY OTHER BLOODY TIME I spent scanning for malware the SAME issues would appear but here's the thing. When I go to see the files .exe's and registry entries affected by the spyware again it says that NOTHING is contaminated!! How is that possible?? How is it possible to know there is a spyware and have NOO GODDAMN proof?? I mean really norton! I think either that Norton has altzeimer's or that there is spyware on IE8 coz norton sees that ie.exe has pcprowler on it. But i dunno how to scan ie8 properly. Could anyone please help it's quite annoying!

Symantec Norton 360 is one of the worst products Symantec ever released.
You would benefit greatly from getting the free Avast or Avira, or the paid Kaspersky, Nod32, or other antivirus, then removing Symantec Norton 360. ... or buy the more recent version on disk, not from download.
Then you need good Antispyware. Consider SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor, or the free MalwareBytes by MalwareBytes.org, or the free SuperAntispyware.
You will find a great deal of information on this TechSport forum on these various spyware and antivirus problems. Take a look at a recent posting for the 8 steps, for instance.

Symantec Norton 360 is one of the worst products Symantec ever released.
You would benefit greatly from getting the free Avast or Avira, or the paid Kaspersky, Nod32, or other antivirus, then removing Symantec Norton 360. ... or buy the more recent version on disk, not from download.
Then you need good Antispyware. Consider SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor, or the free MalwareBytes by MalwareBytes.org, or the free SuperAntispyware.
You will find a great deal of information on this TechSport forum on these various spyware and antivirus problems. Take a look at a recent posting for the 8 steps, for instance.

So your saying that it's Norton that's the problem, right??

Clear up you language if you want to post here.

First of all. you have given nothing to check for malware, although you have posted in the Virus and Malware Removal Forum.

And no, Norton is not the problem. The problem is that you may have malware that requires more than a Norton scan to remove it.

The error code (000003FB) means "System could not allocate the required space in a registry log."

PCProwler is a commercial Spyware application that records keystrokes, takes screenshots and monitors IM messages. It can store this information locally or mail it to a third party.

It is also described as Adware.Win32.PC Prowler.

IT appears to be a purchased downloadable program: Publisher: LogiGuard | License: Shareware | Price: 29.95
Version: 1 |While it does not show Vista in any of the spec platforms, I do not find any excluding of Vista either. Most information was written in 2005-2006. It is also NOT listed as a rogue spyware program.

Sunbelt describes it as PC Prowler is a complete surveillance program. It monitors and records every detail of PC and Internet activity. Quarantine is advised.

If you want help in malware cleaning, please see Tech-101. Please follow the preliminary removal guide.

Currently, there are no trained malware helpers on TechSpot.

No, I am not putting the blame on Norton. But rather inadequate scanning. I suspect that Norton will not remove all the bad stuff on an infested system.
Were it my machine, I would want a better antivirus... Nod32, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira or others, along with a minimum of two antispyware such as SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, MalwareBytes, or SuperAntispyware.
In our experience, these will remove PC Prowler among others. You may have to scan twice, the second time in Safe Mode.

For Windows XP users

Turn off the computer.
Then press the <on> button for a cold boot.

To get into the Windows XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting depress your "F8 Key" once per second, which will usually give you the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" with the list your see below. Use your Arrow Keys to go into "Safe Mode" and depress your <Enter> key.

If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows XP Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows will detect that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

<THE USUAL SAFE MODE SCREEN>

Windows Advanced Options Menu

Please select an option:
Safe ModeSafe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS
Choices Menu
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

You will find that you have a low resolution screen, with many icons and logos out of position.
Some software, including some antivirus programs and some antispyware progrdams will not run in Safe Mode, but use the ones that do.

This is an interesting area if you are interested in learning how your computer and Windows work. Move around in Safe Mode to see how it operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back