The WhatsApp native desktop app for Windows and Mac has arrived

midian182

Staff member

Facebook-owned messaging service WhatsApp has announced the arrival of its native desktop app, which you can download here. It’s available for Windows 8 and above, and for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and above.

You’ll need to scan a QR code using WhatsApp on your smartphone to log in to the desktop app (look for WhatsApp Web menu under Settings). Once you’re set up, you’ll get desktop notifications, better keyboard shortcuts, and more.

This desktop WhatsApp is very similar to the web version that’s been available since 2015, copying much of the user interface. “Like WhatsApp Web, our desktop app is simply an extension of your phone,” the company said in a statement.

The software syncs with your phone to mirror conversations and messages. It also supports voice dictation. WhatsApp suggests connecting your phone to Wi-Fi as a way of keeping data costs down.

Rumors that a full desktop version of the app was in the works surfaced last week after screenshots appeared on Twitter. The app now joins the likes of Facebook Messenger and Skype, both of which have desktop incarnations.

WhatsApp was in the news again last week, after being banned in Brazil for the second time in six months. The app was blocked in the country for 72 hours for refusing to hand over chat records related to a drug case, something the company says it couldn’t do as its messages are encrypted. A different judge overturned the ruling and the service was restored 24 hours into the ban.

Permalink to story.

This is good news, I do like the web based app but on the desktop it sounds nicer and easier to navigate than in the middle of all my tabs =)

*hears a hatewagon approaching*

This is good news, I do like the web based app but on the desktop it sounds nicer and easier to navigate than in the middle of all my tabs =)

*hears a hatewagon approaching*

I was wondering when Whatsapp would finally get a desktop app. I personally use LINE and they've had a desktop app for quite some time now. Not to mention the phone app offers photo, video and voice recording, free voice and video calls and lots of different customization.

I love using hangouts, the problem is people adoption, as long as everyone uses whatsapp you are kind of forced to use it.

Yet they still do not support wifi only ipads. Cool though I will be downloading it shortly.

Also what is quite amusing, they have decided not to use the Windows Store and have made it a desktop app.

Don't know why this is news. I have been using Whatsapp on my win7 laptop for a long time. Don't need a download, just aim your browser to https://web.whatsapp.com/
and do it.
Native app, native as in windows OS application and not web-based.

Also what is quite amusing, they have decided not to use the Windows Store and have made it a desktop app.
So... people complain about metro interface, then for desktop apps... there is never the right way.

Native app, native as in windows OS application and not web-based.

So... people complain about metro interface, then for desktop apps... there is never the right way.

I don't understand why you would consider my post a complaint, I have nothing against the metro interface or the Windows Store. If I am truly honest I think Whattsapp are making a mistake not using the Windows Store, if they had used it they would get a much larger audience if they made it compatible with Xbox, Surface etc. They already have the app on windows phones so it shouldn't be too hard to make it compatible with the rest.

@cartera you made it to be read as something bad, you do know you have to be really careful when writing stuff because over the internet, your tone is not being heard over text. You do know Surfaces run on windows so it is already compatible? Windows phone is not the same system as Windows -at least not yet- so it doesn't matter if they had build it already on it.

So... besides the xbox compatibility (I don't think anyone would use it to chat btw, I might be wrong though, but I would feel much more comfortable writing over the phone than with a controller) what other compatibility would they hit with making it on a WStore base? As long as the app uses windows notifications it shouldn't be any different to have it on the store or as an application.

@cartera you made it to be read as something bad, you do know you have to be really careful when writing stuff because over the internet, your tone is not being heard over text. You do know Surfaces run on windows so it is already compatible? Windows phone is not the same system as Windows -at least not yet- so it doesn't matter if they had build it already on it.

So... besides the xbox compatibility (I don't think anyone would use it to chat btw, I might be wrong though, but I would feel much more comfortable writing over the phone than with a controller) what other compatibility would they hit with making it on a WStore base? As long as the app uses windows notifications it shouldn't be any different to have it on the store or as an application.
Apologies, it was a hastily written post. With the Surface Pros I know they run full Windows, I have one. if I was looking for whatsapp I would look on the Window's AppStore, it seems the easiest and most likely place to distribute an app.

Can you not pair a keyboard with the Xbox now via Bluetooth? I don't own one so that was based on a assumption.
I also thought the new Windows 10 phones shared the same base code for easy app development?

Back