TechSpot

The Windows NT/XP command-line set

By gbhall
Apr 17, 2005
  1. Hi,
    anyone know where to find a freeware set of command-line utilities suitable for XP home? There are some 100+ commands in, for example, the MKS toolkit. They mostly conform to the Unix syntax and can be invaluable for special purposes. I an particularly keen on obtaining a TOUCH command at the moment.

Background .... XP in it's wisdom/stupidity, if you have an NTFS formatted drive, will cheerfully change the date stamps of every file on your drive by +/- 1 hour when summer time begins and ends. This plays absolute havoc with backups, PC-to-PC transfers, Web-site updates and more.

A really clever TOUCH command able to reverse this insanity would be an absolute boon for me. Any hope anyone?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You don't need the Touch command, you can do it with a windows-program.
    See the attachment

Attached Files:

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,425   +77

thanks realblackstuff

Have a pint of the black stuff on me !! Excellent software, better than I could have hoped. Only thing falling short of sheer perfection is an inability to recurse through directories...

4. RealBlackStuff

It'll cost you a few bob if you want stuff like that.
    This program might do it:
    http://www.attributemagic.com/

PS: any Turbo-Pascal or Turbo-C compiler has that TOUCH program.

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,425   +77

Have a barrel of BlackStuff

You are amazing ! That software is exactly what I need. Will cost me just a few dollars, so happy with that.... :hotbounce

6. RealBlackStuff

Can you have a word with the brewery please, to arrange for delivery? :slurp:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.