The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings GPU & CPU Performance

Getting around 70 FPS on Ultra in 1920x1080 with just one of my 6970s, with Uber and SSAO off. Waiting for Crossfire support.

Hey Steve, great article. One of the oddities I did notice in the game was the strange 'cross-hatching' effect seen on the edges of shadows. I thought it was a bug/driver related problem at first but it turns out this is simply the way the game handles the edges of shadows. Perhaps it is a lot less strenuous on the hardware utilising this method over the more traditional 'soft edge' rendering you generally see. I checked your screenshots and see that you have the same thing so it's definately a game thing.

Why the whining isn't that what "true" PC gamers want? Games that bring their uber graphic cards on their knees? How much time we got until developers ask for SLI or Crossfire set ups as standard because they are lazy asses?

A game that achieves like 21 fps on a Radeon 6990 card in max settings is just lol and in beta in my eyes... There were times coding was art, now it's all about SDK crap and unoptimized BS.

Dev A: "Hey Joe this shadow routine we wrote mate gives like 2 fps when enabled?"

Dev B: "So what mate in two years time graphics card will catch up, we are just ahead of our time. PC gamers will love it, leave it as is."

Dev A: "I guess you are right there will always be ****** willing to spend $2000-3000 on custom cooled PCs with $700 graphics cards just to brag in forums that they can enable this option."

I like the game but it's obvious that ubersampling was added last with out much testing. Looks slightly better enabled but runs like s***. Take a look at crysis 1, looks way better with everything on and runs way better. I love CDP for bringing us this great game but lazy programming is the right term here.

"Ubersamplink" is just SSAA - it has been there for ages. Basically, it renders the game at 4X resolution. ANY modern game rendered in such mode would kill the most powerful GPUs available now.

I think CDPR made marketing mistake giving such a vague name to this feature (most people would think that this option has nothing to do with AA and seeing massive performance drop blame developers for being lazy).

The other CDPR mistake is making it enabled by default on "Ultra" preset.
There should be additional preset called "Uber" (or whatever) with Ubersampling on, and big warning message should be displayed when selecting it, stating that ultra-heavy AA in Uber mode will most likely kill your GPU.

Also reviews should be done on release, this makes developers think twice before releasing shoddy products.

I like to see pictures of the CPU usage in the task manager for this kind of article.

I can't help feel that this DirectX 9 "trend" as you call it originated from some Legion of Doom type sort of meeting between epic game developers.

I guess it's not all that bad though. Hopefully though it will be a short lived "trend".

otester said:
After the way they've been treating file-sharers they can go to hell!

So after deciding to go after illegal sharing of their work, despite releasing a DRM-free game, they deserve to be shafted? Sounds more like you're mad that they might come after you one of these days :V

herpaderp said:
otester said:

So after deciding to go after illegal sharing of their work, despite releasing a DRM-free game, they deserve to be shafted? Sounds more like you're mad that they might come after you one of these days :V

IPR is anti-freedom and anti-free market.

If you're into tyranny then there's not much more to say.

Quite possibly the most ignorant ,ill conceived thought I have ever seen seen posted here.

here is some tyranny for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

I am surprised though that you didn't drag out the troll favorite 'draconian'...or were you getting to that?:rolleyes:

@red1776

Do you have some kind of troll detecting sensors ? Just viewing your posts, most of them are "Ahaa, a troll, ..." followed by posts of a few buttheads "Let's kick his ***, it will be fun ..."

I think you deserve the word "Troll" more than others in this forum. Because your posts are not related to the topic and won't help. You are just raising flaming wars to make people attention to you and increase your post count. If that's your problem I can ask mods to lend you a few.

Please stop this madness kiddie.

@red1776

Do you have some kind of troll detecting sensors ? Just viewing your posts, most of them are "Ahaa, a troll, ..." followed by posts of a few buttheads "Let's kick his ***, it will be fun ..."

I think you deserve the word "Troll" more than others in this forum. Because your posts are not related to the topic and won't help. You are just raising flaming wars to make people attention to you and increase your post count. If that's your problem I can ask mods to lend you a few.

Please stop this madness kiddie.

Yes....no, no , no, go ahead, and who cares. I have a mailbox full of thank you's that disprove your uninformed opinions. now hush junior.

@Previous Guest, I wonder if you have checked red's posts at all, to me he is very helpful xD

Very information article. Been looking for exactly this information and did not find it until now.

The High/Ultra (sans Uber) is interesting. Using a GPU monitor i'm not seeing any difference in GPU Vid Mem usage when switching between High and Ultra.

At first I really didn't like cinematic depth of field, but I have to say, from towers and looking down roads, this setting really looks stunning.

otester said:
herpaderp said:
otester said:

how would you like to work and not get paid?

how would you like to work and not get paid?

huge_24_124304.JPG

Although I agree with a few of the users with the assertion that it may be inefficient programming at some level, but I for one like to see a game come out that at max settings can bring even the best rigs to their knees. Not only does it push for the hardware to be better, but also if you only are able to use low or mid settings at launch, and you upgrade later and re-play the game at now top settings you are then rewarded with those beautiful graphics the developers intended. Also, forcing developers to target only mid-rage hardware out currently potentially stifles creativity...

That's my 2 cents at least...

Back