There is an IP address conflict with another comp. on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMDominator88

Hey guys, here's the deal: I am using Windows XP Home with a DSL connection on a Sony Vaio and I have a 5 port Hub that I want to use in order to connect the other two computers in the home. Yet when I connect two computers at one time to the Hub, the Sony Vaio (the other computer I am connecting is an HP Pavilion laptop zv6000 running XP prof.) tells me in a windows system error has occurred and it states that there is an IP address error with another computer on the network (the laptop never even connects to the network; it just keeps looking for an IP address)

Sony Vaio PCV-RS312V (Desktop system)
Intel P4 2.40 GHz
Windows XP Home edition
768 MB RAM
nVidia GeForce Fx 5500 (forceware driver version 93.71)

HP pavilion zv6123cl (Laptop system)
AMD Athlon 64 2.00 GHz
Windows XP prof edition
1280 MB RAM
Integrated ATI Radeon express 200M ("Catalyst software suite" version 7.4 release date: 4-18-07)

the driver I have (on the desktop) for the "RealTek GBE & FE ethernet PCI NIC driver" is version 1.08.0000 (is there an update ??)

You need a router device to share an internet connection. A simple hub will not do.

Get a router and then set all your machines to use DHCP (Assign an IP address automatically) in TCP/IP settings. Post back if you do not know how to do this.

any good advice on routers !! brands, prices, etc. places to buy from (I saw one on newegg that had ~50 really good reviews for around 25 dollars)

What do you want wired or wireless? There is a really fast Wired router at BB for $35 bucks Dyntex E-401 has a lot of features VPN, Gaming and etc.. For wireless that's you can look at Buffalo ones on newegg..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back