Thermal paste vs thermal pad

not sure if this is in the right spot or not. i have read a few other posts about this. but my problem seems that even with arctic alumina the temp goes way up to 200 degress only doing one thing. so would paste be better then a pad or still go with paste that just melts away and doesnt do anything.

Sounds like you are just applying it too heavily or not getting the heatsink properly fastened down. There should be a very thin layer over the processor.

I know I'll get reamed for this but, "I'd go with thermal tampon in lieu of either pad or paste".......:rolleyes:

(It's not excuse or justification for that, but, if I had actual self control, I might have amounted to something)

i am using a laptop if that makes any difference. with an external cooling fan.
At first i put on a small amount i gave it 2 weeks for 8 hours on 14 off. by then end of the two weeks it was right back to where it was before. i then said fine that doesnt work ill fill the damn thing. well it worked like that for the first week. when i cleaned the old stuff off from the two week shot it looked like melted gunk. i just dont know what to do with this thing i do not have the money to just take it somewhere so any further help would be great.

thanks snxg1275 but that video did not help me at all with my question. since i have already said i am on a laptop and am not asking how to apply it. i am aware of youtube i have found many videos on how to apply yadda yadda. my question was simply is thermal paste or thermal pad better for a laptop. please thank you and have a good day.

Thermal paste is generally a good bit better. If the laptop already had a thermal pad on it, the manufacturer may have used a pad instead of paste on a chip to increrase the height and make it meet the heatsink better (that's why most video cards have pads instead of paste on memory/vrm chips).

thanks snxg1275 but that video did not help me at all with my question. since i have already said i am on a laptop and am not asking how to apply it. i am aware of youtube i have found many videos on how to apply yadda yadda. my question was simply is thermal paste or thermal pad better for a laptop. please thank you and have a good day.

Thats very well, but the principle is the same on anything you are applying to. Since you apparently are not applying a decent thermal compound correctly (based on 200 degree temps (I assume you mean F)) it doesn't really matter.... Actually I take that back - if you've screwed up paste application that badly and have seen youtube vids on how to do it and STILL messed it up, just go with the pad.

200 degrees??? that seems incredibly hot for a CPU even under the most intense load. What is the model of your laptop? The best way to cool your cpu/gpu is fan modification. Easiest way to do this is by using software however some mobos don't allow for this. If your mobo does not allow this then the modification becomes more complex. You have to modify the hardware of the fan.

with some further searching i was able to fix the issue. it ended up being a noob issue. known as dust build up in the fan. thank you all for the help.

Paste is usually better at conducting heat than a thermal pad. A pad is usually used when paste wouldn't be thick enough to reach from the heated surface to the cooling surface and the need for cooling is less demanding. The memory in my video card uses a thermal pad to make contact with the heat sink because the gap between the two is rather wide. The GPU in the same video card uses thermal paste to make contact with the heat sink because the gap is small and need to remove the heat is very demanding.

Back