This genius tool ensures flawless thermal paste application every time

zohaibahd

Staff
Why it matters: Applying thermal paste is one of those PC building tasks that sounds simple in theory but can be a real pain in practice. You can try to be as careful as possible when spreading that little dollop of goo evenly across the CPU's heat spreader, but one wrong move and you end up with a mess or uneven coverage. Well, say goodbye to those worries with the genius X-Apply thermal paste applicator.

This "idiot-proof" tool is basically a big stencil that fits right over your CPU socket. Rather than applying paste directly to the CPU, you smear it across the stencil's surface. The stencil has a precise pattern of holes that allows the perfect amount of paste to pass through onto the heat spreader below in a flawless, even layer. It's such a simple idea it almost makes you wonder why no one came up with it before.

The brains behind X-Apply are the folks at DigitalBlizzard and renowned tech tester Igor Wallossek from Igor's Lab. After some collaboration and refinement, they've created a product that makes applying thermal paste a total breeze, even for first-time builders.

Wallossek put X-Apply to the test on an Intel Core i9-13900K running at a beefy 200W power level. Comparing its thermal performance to a conventional "sausage" pattern paste application, he found the X-Apply method kept things just a few degrees cooler on average. The average temperatures stood at 73°C with a 77°C peak using the stencil, compared to 75°C and 78°C without. Not a night and day difference, but an important improvement nonetheless, considering the sausage method was previously found to be the best thermal application technique.

More importantly, X-Apply eliminates the potential for uneven or incomplete paste coverage that can happen with manual application. Those bare spots on the heat spreader are a definite no-no for effective heat transfer.

While careful manual application can certainly get the job done for a single build, X-Apply shines for anyone building PCs en masse - whether that's system builders, enthusiasts frequently swapping CPUs, or overclockers constantly reapplying paste. Instead of painstakingly reapplying paste for the 100th time, just smear, peel, and you're good to go.

X-Apply films are not commercially available just yet, but they are coming soon in specific versions for the latest AMD AM5 and Intel LGA 1700/1800 sockets, as well as a universal "X-Apply X" that can be custom cut.

Permalink to story:

Hmmm, the "pea sized dot" in the middle of the IHS has always worked like a charm for me.

I used to do the old zig zag then smooth with credit card approach for nice even coverage, but I eventually realized it didn't really improve thermals since there wasn't really much heat transfer happening at the corners of the IHS.

This is nice, but it still seems like an extra step and there is a lot of room for error without a lot of room for improvement in thermals.

I would like a CPU that doesn't needs to run at mid-to-high 70cs as part of normal cpu thermal behavior.

Do they still make those? Probably not intel but maybe AMD...Maybe tho.

I would like a CPU that doesn't needs to run at mid-to-high 70cs as part of normal cpu thermal behavior.

Sure. They're called Pentiums. Or you can just underclock whatever CPU you have. With modern thermal density high temps are just a fact of life.

BTW, temperature =! heat. A CPU that pulls 360 watt and runs at 70c is going to heat up a room much faster then a CPU that pulls 45w and hits 95c.

People will take any aspect of a PC build and make an easy thing hard. Applying paste is something I was taught in 1st grade. Not to much, not to little. If you won't teach yourself this simple task then you have no business building your own

Last edited:
There is already an extensive video on Youtube doing comparison of heat management by various methods of applying the thermal paste.

Just put a simple blob in the centre. Or, there are other various ways - apply a centre dot and one at every corner, or a cross pattern, or apply evenly.

Anything done with patience and attention will give favourable result, for a long time.

Not a fan of novelties and shortcuts.

I like to live "on the razor's edge", in a manner of speaking, using a fresh single edge razor blade as the spreader. You really won't find a straighter, stiffer, more finely honed edge than that.

For those who opine, "OMG, I might scratch he CPU heat spreader", I would suggest, "if you're that clumsy, take it to a shop".

Equipped with a WC, the 7800X3D runs below 70°C in most games. (In Warzone the temperature skyrockets)

But it will also depend on how hot the environment is.

Hmm. 3D print the pattern, scrape your paste over it. To blazes with the rest of the nonsense.

My 5800X peaks at 65C under all core stress test, down form stock of 78C. Undervolting and sensible power limits are your friend. Even undervolted 5950X will be around 70C in stress test, whcih aren't even something normal users will experience. Zen 4 also repsonds well even it runs hotter by design than Zen 3. I saw one guy tune his 7900X and increase performance, slash power and runs 20C cooler.

I can just see the infomercial for this product. Some guy making a huge awkward mess with thermal paste and shaking their head...there must be an easier way!

Host: "Are you tired of feeling the heat from your computer? Introducing Thermal Paste, the ultimate solution to keeping your CPU cool and your system running smoothly! But wait, applying thermal paste can be a real hassle, right?"

[Cut to a dramatization of someone struggling to apply thermal paste, with close-up shots of messy hands and uneven application.]

Host: "That's where we come in! We've all been there, wrestling with that tiny syringe, trying to squeeze out just the right amount without making a mess. It's like trying to thread a needle blindfolded in a hurricane!"

With new X-Apply even a blind monkey can apply thermal paste like a pro.

Back