These are Steam's best selling PC games right now

Julio Franco

Staff member

Even though The Witcher 3 won't be out until tomorrow, pre-orders of the game are hitting Steam's top charts hard, taking the second and fifth spots in last week's top selling titles. The game has received plenty of press ahead of launch with very positive reviews across the board.

Grand Theft Auto V is doing incredibly well on the PC, especially for a game that was released for previous-gen consoles 18 months ago. Whether it's the potential for 60 fps gameplay and 4K resolution in the PC version, or the awesome modding scene, GTA V lives on and has been at the top of the charts since release last month.

Looking gorgeous as always, Project CARS has dropped a couple of spots but I'm sure we'll keep hearing more about the game. As we learned in our performance review last week there are some pending optimizations on the GPU side that we are looking forward to.

Counter-Strike: GO and Arma 3 are two older titles that keep selling impressively well. Counter-Strike is now on its 15th anniversary (CS:GO was released in 2012) and remains a timeless classic with hundreds of thousands of players active daily. CS: Global Offensive features new maps, characters, weapons and delivers updated versions of classic CS content.

The full top 10 list follows below -- are any of these in your shortlist of games you are playing right now?

Permalink to story.

GTA V deserves it.
Witcher 3 bought it on GoG. It's nice that it's selling well on Steam though.
CS:GO as always
New games always sell in they launch week: Project Cars, Galactic Civilizations 3, Invisible Inc.

Elder Scrolls Online? Hahaha.

I have not bought a game in years and several days after release I bought Grand Theft Auto V even though I have completed the game in pirated form offline. It is just too good and also has great online mode which makes the it worth the money.

I gotta say I'm really happy with R*.... they released a SOLID port. GTA 5 has been performing well and very reliable for me. I'm very much enjoying the game. Sure sure it is 1.5 years late, but I don't have a console and never played the game until it came out on PC, so it is new to me.

Project Cars is a piece of trash. They try to lay the blame of optimization on AMD when they know AMD doesn't have access to Nvidia Gameworks code to optimize. Passing blame like that is childish.

Project Cars is a piece of trash. They try to lay the blame of optimization on AMD when they know AMD doesn't have access to Nvidia Gameworks code to optimize. Passing blame like that is childish.
You really should go back and read where AMD didn't seem to care about communications to make the game AMD optimized. If it wasn't for that fact, I would stand behind what you are saying.

You really should go back and read where AMD didn't seem to care about communications to make the game AMD optimized. If it wasn't for that fact, I would stand behind what you are saying.
no need to continue an offtopic post here, but I'll add that everybody knows that it's the dev's fault for using gameworks not amd's. you can't optimise amd drivers for physx. project cars was started using a game engine that had no problems on amd hardware.

I don't care in general about what api's/tech a game uses, I just don't like it when I know I'm being lied to.

Last edited:

The problem I have with that is, who's stating AMD didn't contact them? The devs. The same guys who know they cannot allow AMD to see, and optimize for, Nvidia Gameworks code.

Let's assume for the sake of conversation that AMD hadn't contacted them for awhile. The game has horrid performance on AMD cards, the devs knew that. What I don't get is, having access to Nvidia Gameworks code, why didn't they optimize at all knowing that Nvidia code is obviously going to be bad on AMD cards? These guys obviously know how to write code, so what was stopping them from reducing tessellation on AMD cards or leaning on some other strength of the AMD architecture? This is openly available information that they definitely had.

One last thing that is rather curious, the game seems to scale down rather evenly, even on AMD's older cards. The problem with this is it means the game is only using the raw power of the cards. You'd think that newer cards would be better optimized but in this case it appears as though the project cars devs just didn't care about AMD users at all.

Let's assume for the sake of conversation that AMD hadn't contacted them for awhile.
No lets not assume!

https://www.techspot.com/review/1000-project-cars-benchmarks/
Coincidentally, Project CARS is plastered with Nvidia logos in-game. Initial reaction from gamers was to lash out at Slightly Mad, claiming they were paid off by Nvidia to deliberately gimp the performance of AMD hardware. Slightly Mad Studios boss Ian Bell fired back with this…

“We've provided AMD with 20 keys for game testing as they work on the driver side. But you only have to look at the lesser hardware in the consoles to see how optimized we are on AMD based chips”.

"We're reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We've provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year". He continued: "Categorically, NVIDIA have not paid us a penny. They have though been very forthcoming with support and co-marketing work at their instigation. We've had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we'll obviously do anything we can from our side".

For whatever reason AMD chose not to participate in the optimization of the game. I'm sure they had their reasons, I'm definitely not gonna bash them for it. And don't even give me any of the horse crap about nVidia code. AMD has their own way of countering nVidia proprietary code. Get off nVidia for AMD's short coming. Whether it be intentional or accidental is irrelevant, the fact is it happened.

I recently bought a few games

Wolfenstein old blood: 8/10 pretty fun, challenging and action packed fights. Iv played it for about 4 hours and I know I will finish this game, I might even replay it on a higher difficulty.

Zombie army Trilogy: 9/10, multiplayer or solo zombie killing fun, very immersive and action packed. The combat system has a great feel to it. Iv played maybe 5 hours and plan to play some more when I get the itch.

Westerado: 2/10 looked funny, is funny but the actual gameplay is not really my thing, 2d questing is bleh. Played for an hour. I doubt I will ever play it again.

Dark souls 2: 3?/10, game mechanics feel clunky compared to other fps melee games like chivalry midieval warfare. I played for 2 hours. I know the game has a great deal more depth to it but its very dull in the first 2 hours and I dont have the patience.

Castle in the darkness: 2/10, terribly annoying side scroller. 2 hours of play.

Broforce: 7/10, 10/10 in the side scroller category. hilarious and explosively outrageous side scroller. played for 12 hours or so. I plan to revisit it in the future. Multiplayer and solo. Your like really they copied him? It has a unique character of every action star ever.

Carribean!: ?/10 Successor to mounter and blade, I really hated chasing down horse archers or fast walking bandits in mount and blade. This game seems to have boats, bandits and units that take forever to catch. It also has long drawn out ship battles like in pirates of the caribean disney game. I thought they were fun like 10 years ago when disney first did it, now its just annoying. Played for an hour and put it on the shelf. I just got done playing a ton of mount and blade 1 so I was kind of burnt on MNB. I might, might try it in the future but I don't think I can bring myself to fight another navy battle.

Next I want to try killing floor on xbox one so I can play it with my gf, I am hoping its like left for dead. I also want to try the new mortal kombat for xbox one I havent played a fighting game in forever. For pc I think the only game I'm lookin forward to is the new doom. Warcraft 4?

No lets not assume!

https://www.techspot.com/review/1000-project-cars-benchmarks/

For whatever reason AMD chose not to participate in the optimization of the game. I'm sure they had their reasons, I'm definitely not gonna bash them for it. And don't even give me any of the horse crap about nVidia code. AMD has their own way of countering nVidia proprietary code. Get off nVidia for AMD's short coming. Whether it be intentional or accidental is irrelevant, the fact is it happened.
you have to understand that a company doesn't have time to help every developer, but this doesn't stop devs from making a game playable on a certain hardware. nvidia was really involved in this game because of the ingame nvidia ads and gameworks. you won't see nvidia do the same for all devs. it's how the industry works.
this isn't amd's shortcoming, it's just a game made for nvidia hardware. plain and simple.

like I said before, devs have the right to make their game work how they want, but they should be honest about it and not pass blame on others.

it is know that gameworks cripples both nvidia and amd performance, but it does so far more for amd because of how the proprietary code is made. for example you have the same problems with crysis 2 and batman origins. there are tens of articles on how badly optimised gameworks is for both vendors.

Last edited:
like I said before, devs have the right to make their game work how they want, but they should be honest about it and not pass blame on others.
I'm sorry I don't see it that way. It wasn't the devs passing blame. It was AMD butthurt fans looking for blame, so the devs give them an answer. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer they give, doesn't mean their business practices are dishonest.

I'm sorry I don't see it that way. It wasn't the devs passing blame. It was AMD butthurt fans looking for blame, so the devs give them an answer. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer they give, doesn't mean their business practices are dishonest.
if you accept that as an answer then there is nothing else to add. I'm not an AMD fan, but I do understand them when I see such business tactics that destroy companies being done in the open and nobody is taking action to stop them.
saying that it's amd's fault that that physx/gameworks doesn't work well on their hardware is something that even my 90 yo grandma can see that it is a lie. especially when they say that they advertising nvidia ingame for free.

Here you are once again talking about nVidia's proprietary code. I've heard more from you on the topic than I have AMD. If it truly is a topic then we will hear from AMD, until then yes the answer given above is enough for me. This is between AMD and devs not nVidia, the only reason I spoke up. All I'm saying is AMD seems to have had the same opportunity as nVidia, but yet nVidia's name is being smeared. There is no evidence to support wrong doings from nVidia.

If AMD had reached out just once, I'm sure they could have had the nVidia logos removed from the track. Personally I think the nVidia logos was done on purpose because of "AMD's lack of interest". But that is my opinion, I'm not gonna sit here a chatter on about it being fact because from my stand point, there currently is no evidence that I've seen.

Here you are once again talking about nVidia's proprietary code. I've heard more from you on the topic than I have AMD. If it truly is a topic then we will hear from AMD, until then yes the answer given above is enough for me. This is between AMD and devs not nVidia, the only reason I spoke up. All I'm saying is AMD seems to have had the same opportunity as nVidia, but yet nVidia's name is being smeared. There is no evidence to support wrong doings from nVidia.

If AMD had reached out just once, I'm sure they could have had the nVidia logos removed from the track. Personally I think the nVidia logos was done on purpose because of "AMD's lack of interest". But that is my opinion, I'm not gonna sit here a chatter on about it being fact because from my stand point, there currently is no evidence that I've seen.
that's a very warped way of seeing things. ignore what's in front and trust the word of a man. the evidence is the code. plain and simple.
when nvidia asked for tressfx source code to optimise the driver for tomb raider they received it. it now has almost identical performance on both hardware. when amd asked the same from nvidia they got the middle finger even though nvidia does provide the source code to it's partners.
unless you yourself are are programer then you can't understand what it means to not have access to the source code. it's like trying to repair the engine of a car, but you are not allowed to unscrew anything or even open the hood.

I always hated working with code written by somebody else. trying to repair a program without access to the source code? impossible to do, the entire code has to be rewritten.

as for more evidence, you just have to look at past games that had gameworks and also were crippled on amd hardware. there are plenty of examples, some even have in depth technical articles that explain why it's so bad.

Recently bought quite a few steam games including Assetto Corsa and Project cars. AC was on sale with 50% off which was very convenient as I was buying it that week anyway. Love both of them for different reasons and they are both well worth buying even though I'm only getting about half the fps I should be on P cars (crossfire 290's). These are my first non nvidia gpu's since the 9800 pro, way back but I have to say there's no doubt in my mind that NVidia are a dirty bunch of bastards when it comes to business and they couldn't give a flying fornication about pc gaming in general, only their own dominance of the gpu market. Having said that, the brute force of my 290's still pushes the game over 100fps so it's not too bad but its the whole dirty tricks stuff that really pisses me off.

The Witcher game is one that have always eludes me when I think of adventure gaming . It has a lot of positive reviews though. My next buy.

Back